The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Airline Carry-On Rod Carriers

I've got to the point of wanting to carry three (or more) rods with me as carry-on on my fly-fishing trips requiring airline travel. Does anyone have any suggestions for these?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Airline Carry-On Rod Carriers

Rather than carry three tubes, i know there are large diameter tubes available in the art industry for carrying of posters and such. I think you could probably fit three rods into one tube if they were just in their rod socks.

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've been checking these out
RossTec Multi-Rod Cases

ARFE
Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

You might want to ck out the selection at Hook & Hackle.

Rick
Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have an excellent one, something like the one in Casey's link but with 5" squared off sides. It can carry up to four 9', 4 piece rods and was a closeout from Orvis so of course they don't make them anymore. I've never seen another quite like it.
They did replace it with a fancier, more expensive one however.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Fishpond Overland tube that is capable of holding 5-4 piece rods and have never had a problem getting them on a plane. I also use this same tube anytime that I take multiple rods with me to a stream. Leave those tubes at home unless you're hiking in.

http://fishpondusa.com/Overland-Trail.cfm
Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

[quote=Rip Tide;312967]I have an excellent one, something like the one in Casey's link but with 5" squared off sides. It can carry up to four 9', 4 piece rods and was a closeout from Orvis so of course they don't make them anymore. I've never seen another quite like it.
They did replace it with a fancier, more expensive one however.

This looks a lot like the Fishpond Dakota (image below), which I believe Frank Whiton recommended some time ago (Frank, if you read this, please confirm).
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default The old classics

I've relied on these for years. For, l to r, 32" tubes, 40" tubes, 54" tubes. Old Orvis stuff, made in USA.
Gary[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: The old classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I've relied on these for years. For, l to r, 32" tubes, 40" tubes, 54" tubes. Old Orvis stuff, made in USA.
Gary[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
that old battenkill gear is outstanding!
nice set

caset

ARFE
Old 09-08-2011, 09:30 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Thanks! I think I could almost retire on the Battenkill luggage stashed around this house. Got into it years ago, when it was still made in USA.

I'd venture to say that this briefcase has well over a million miles on it between ground and air. The new ones they have made in Asia can't compare. (apologize for slight diversion from threadline)
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]