The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

I like the Orvis cleated Vubram-soled boots with the zip-up side. Pros: very easy to take on and off, very sure-footed, durable. Cons: heavy, size runs small (I have a 9 1/2 foot but my size 10 boot is almost too snug for me, even with a fairly thin neoprene wader bootie.)

These replaced a pair of Chotas that wore out too soon, IMHO. Have not tried other brands so can't compare. The Korkers do look intriguing, though.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:21 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Ard
I have had lots of wading boots from inexpensive to expensive,from hodgeman to simms .Last year i bought the Simms guide boot and i do believe it's the best wading boot i have ever had.They are very comfortable and so far are just like new with about 50days on them in the water, walking to and from camps and trucks to the streams and back.Most boots i buy only last one season if that long but these seem to be rugged enough to stand the test.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

I have used LL bean for a long time and always bought the same model boot until they did away with it and then tried every the other models they made and finally gave up and got my money back.

Tried Orvis, nice boot but very heavy, did not like the Simms, finally settled on a pair of Chota's and could not be happier.

The Chota boot has a great lace system that makes putting them on and taking them off a snap. I fish a lot of salt water and never have any sand issues with the sand getting in the boot which was a problem with a lot of the other brands I tried. They have studs and a deep cleat sole as well which you do not see on many boots. The lace system is great especially in the cold weather and so much easier on the fingers not freezing all time when putting them on or taking them off.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:14 PM

Location: live in the south, but have a second home in Durango Co. Hope to be there full time some day!
troutcomegetit is on a distinguished road

I have the Korkers Chrome and they work just fine for the waters in Colorado. Easy sole change from hike to creek mode. Simms, they make quality stuff too, but I went for the Korkers.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:01 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Cabelas currently has Simms Freestone Wading Boots at under $100... I'm on 3rd season with these boots... And I put on a ton of mileage on them... I have a lace that is starting to go but that's it... and that just recently happened
Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Picked up a pair of Simms Rivertech BOA's, Not one negative thing about them. BOA system works great, comfortable, no more messing with laces that come undone or hard to untie when your fingers are cold form the December chill. Snap, twist, fish...... taking them off is even easier.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough

I have only bought simms boots for as long as i can remember.I have the rivershed and the freestone models with the star cleats. Just fantastic boots.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:28 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Cabelas currently has Simms Freestone Wading Boots at under $100... I'm on 3rd season with these boots... And I put on a ton of mileage on them... I have a lace that is starting to go but that's it... and that just recently happened
Until I had to replace them (the new version of the Korker Chorme/Boa lace ups) this was my choice for years. The only boot that I came across that the designer had a clue as what was going to get stuck inside and how much 'room' that was going to require.

fae
Old 03-23-2013, 01:41 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

This one kind of thread that keeping it going is helpful. Ard's original post was 2 1/2 years ago. I haven't looked at the middle of the post, so I don't know what kind of boots he bought. I have some opinions that I'll share. I've owned a number of different kinds of boots over the years. First, a lot of boots are way too narrow which leads to cold, cramped feet. These are easy to spot just by looking, so unless you have very narrow feet, stay away. Second, rubber soles are the eco-friendly way to go, but I've never found a pair of them that could handle the "greased bowling ball" rivers west of the Mississippi. So having or adding studs is important. This year, I'll be carrying two pair most of the time, one with and one without studs. I'll use the studs when I'm not in the boat unless I have the guides permission to wear them in the boat. Recent experience in the Sandy River convinced me that the boat can't be the final call. Finally, the lacing system is an interesting issue. I had a pair of boots with the easy lace system and I like that a lot, but the boot was too small for me and I had a lot of cold feet when I wore it.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 PM

donlux is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Actually, u can order valuable boots from abroad ecommerce website. cheap less than 100$. but the quality, hmm... it's up to u.