The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradocaddis970 View Post
Picked up a pair of Simms Rivertech BOA's, Not one negative thing about them. BOA system works great, comfortable, no more messing with laces that come undone or hard to untie when your fingers are cold form the December chill. Snap, twist, fish...... taking them off is even easier.
I never understand this statement about how the BOA system is better than laces... on my boots I maybe have to tie my laces a couple times a year... because for whatever reason I decided to untie them... otherwise I leave them tied and just unhook them from the quick loops and they come off... when i put them on... i just wrap them around the loops again and I'm good to go... no tying or untying...
Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reluctant to try BOA style laces for one reason. If they fail, unless you're carrying duct tape or have a replacement lace system on hand, you're done. Laces are easy to deal with if they break in the field and replacements are readily available just about anywhere.

The guys in my local shop love them and have said great things about theirs and customer experiences but I'm not convinced yet.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I know buddies who own wading boots made by two different companies utilizing the BOA system, one company that uses them, I have heard issues about them failing, the other company, never heard of an issue...

I remember when the BOA lacing system first came out, I got a proto-type pair of snowboard boots that had them, they would slip every once in a while and come loose out of nowhere, I never used them again but that was a LONG time ago and I know they have been changed since then...

I really like my Patagonia aluminum bar wading boots and just got their latest model wading boots with felt sole, the newest model with felt soles are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn....

I don't mind tying my own boots and I like the ease of replacing laces on the water if something should happen "which it never has". To each his own...
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I like the BOA system. During the winter, we fish in temperatures that freeze laces solid so it is nice to be able to just pop the buckle and slide right out of the boots. They can get sand in them, but they are very easy to take off to clean out.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:41 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Korkers and BOAs here too. Before it was just nice, lose the dexterity in your fingers, and it's a godsend.

I looked at mine quickly..couldn't tell if I would be able to thread a normal lace in there in an emergency or not.

I did not pick the boots based on the BOA system.. but it's nice to have.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I'll give Patagonia another chance this spring. The new "Ultralight wading boot's" are,hopefully, exactly what I need. If they live up to Patagucci's claim that they can take "years of hard use" then I'm onboard. I just hope they hold up better then the canyon walkers I had that didn't even last 1 season. Still like the Simms Rivershed's but they are a a little heavy for continued hiking day in and day out. Sorry Rivershed's your getting sidelined.

Patagonia Ultralight Wading Boots - Sticky

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by cw76; 04-01-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 AM

keiths is on a distinguished road

I just got a pair of LL Bean West Branch and installed their studs. Good grip on rocks and moss. Light boot, very comfortable.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

I dont have very much experience with wading boot. In fact I just bought my first pair. I have always found boot foot waders to be great because I could keep em in the truck slap em on and go!

Anyways I bought the Simms Headwaters boots. They are awesome! Comfy and sturdy!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:34 PM

custompolz is on a distinguished road

I am in the MN driftless area but cannot find if there is a felt ban in my area ... does anyone know of restrictions to MN waters?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:46 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by custompolz View Post
I am in the MN driftless area but cannot find if there is a felt ban in my area ... does anyone know of restrictions to MN waters?
Status of Felt Restrictions in the USA

Does not look as though there is a ban. You'd be wise to look at your DNR page to confirm.

Fishing in Minnesota: Minnesota DNR