The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

There are no felt bans here in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Or Illinois... None of the Driftless has felt bans... But more than likely is right around the corner... You can guarantee it... Personally I've had nil issues with Vibram bottoms here in the DA... When I needed my last new pair of boots I opted to go the Vibram/rubber sole route as to not have to worry about ditching my felt in the future... So that's definitely something to take into mind.. I'd hate to end up with a $100+ pair of boots that I can't wear
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 AM

asmithpro is on a distinguished road

Korkers - with the laws continuing to change, having the ability to change soles is pure genius!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road

Like some other people have mentioned in this thread, I am using the Simms G4's. They have been flawless over the last year. I am very happy with the traction of the Vibram soles and have not had the need to add the cleats or screws to the soles.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 AM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Ard, you have probably already bought new boots since you started this thread. If you have, I'd be interested to hear what you bought and what your experience with them has been. If you haven't. . .

After burning through different brands (Hodgman, Chota, some cheap no-name brand) which didn't give me much support and wore out way too soon, I bought a pair of Simms Guide boots (back then they were called G3s; now I think they're just called Guide boots--the ones that look like hiking boots). I've worn them for three years now and they're amazing--sturdy, durable, good support for my feet and ankles, and the Vibram soles grip well. I haven't had the need to use studs or cleats yet. Also, when you have to hike to a new spot, either in the water, on the shore or through the bush, they are excellent--just like, well, hiking boots. They've also held up amazingly well.

The Korkers look interesting, but for me they're just too gimmicky--that removable sole system looks like it could be prone to failure. Same goes for the BOA and similar lacing systems, for the reasons others have mentioned. I like having good old-fashioned laces.

Scott
Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
Ard, you have probably already bought new boots since you started this thread. If you have, I'd be interested to hear what you bought and what your experience with them has been. If you haven't. . .

The Korkers look interesting, but for me they're just too gimmicky--that removable sole system looks like it could be prone to failure. Same goes for the BOA and similar lacing systems, for the reasons others have mentioned. I like having good old-fashioned laces.

Scott

Scott the new version of the Korker Chromes are 'bullet proof.' The initial design was a very good idea, however the actual construction of the boots left a lot to be desired. Those issues were addressed and the new Chromes are excellent. The thing I like the best is the size of the opening when you pull the tounge forward. The size of an open bucket. Very easy on and off.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:40 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I am pretty disappointed, with $500 tied up in 2 pair of Korkers boots I regret to say that we have had some issues. I had to exchange mine about a month ago, maybe a little more do to a hole that just appeared in the top of the toe area. It looked almost like the material just tore open a little bit. I exchanged them and haven't had an issue again so far, but Liz's boots, which aren't very old keep having issues with the interchangeable soles staying in place. The other morning, at 3am I had to search around in the cold saltwater mud flat for one that fell off. The previous outing, it fell off 3 times. I have been hearing about the cheaper pairs of the boots having the peg on the back of the boot that holds the soles in place falling off after not much use at all, one report was from a close friend of mine that barely ever gets a chance to get out and fish, so I know there wasn't much use on the boots when it happened. I have seen others with the whole sole, midsole and all that completely fell off the boot. That was my concern when I bought mine, that the soles are only glued on. Still waiting to hear back from customer service so we will see what happens. It makes me sick that I will be lucky for them to last me a full season and after that I will be on my own once they are out of warranty. A $225 boot needs to last more than a year, I can't afford almost $500 a year on boots...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
There are no felt bans here in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Or Illinois... None of the Driftless has felt bans... But more than likely is right around the corner... You can guarantee it... Personally I've had nil issues with Vibram bottoms here in the DA... When I needed my last new pair of boots I opted to go the Vibram/rubber sole route as to not have to worry about ditching my felt in the future... So that's definitely something to take into mind.. I'd hate to end up with a $100+ pair of boots that I can't wear
I recently spoke with several MN DNR officers at the MN Outdoor Expo and again at the Fly Fishing Expo. I was told that there is no talk of a felt ban; The DNR are required to wear felt when they are in the water and rinse the soles when they leave but there is no talk of requiring the public to rinse.

Neither banning felt or rinsing it is around the corner in MN (although rinsing isn't a bad idea).

Jim
Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Korkers with svelte 2 best traction on the stream!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 PM

learning2fly will become famous soon enoughlearning2fly will become famous soon enough

korkers are good, stay from pro line, JUNK! I know they are a cheaper brand but mine were shot after 3 trips. Unfortunately it seems like korkers accesories are always changing.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:45 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

On my quest to find a set of wading boots for a 10 day fishing trip, I purchased the new Patagonia Ultralight Wading boots with sticky sole option. I wanted another pair of boots that were light, did not have studs and wore more like a pair of sneakers. These boots are just that. I was really impressed with them on several fronts.

First, they are extremely comfortable, and quite possibly the most comfortable boot I have worn to date. The removable foot liner allowed me to swap out the stock liner and replace it with one designed for athletic shoes, so I've got some extra padding in them.

The amount of debris that got inside the boot was EXTREMELY minimal. I found myself walking through silt above my ankles and at times 1/2 way up my shin and at the end of the day there was very little of anything inside the boot. The first couple of days I found myself taking out the liner to inspect this, thinking there had to be more debris under it. After a few days, I gave up looking because it was clear nothing was there.

Lacing system is excellent, you can get these boots tied quickly and the plastic eyelets shouldn't cut into the laces like boots with metal eyelets will. One flaw in my opinion is there is nothing to attach the clip from your gravel guards. This is very minor and I'm sure I can remedy this one way or another if not live with them as they are.

These are very light boots that have a good amount of padding/support without being overkill. The sole was grippy enough to suit my needs and other than slipping in mud when getting out of a river (which any boot I've ever used will do) I had no issues with rubber soles and no studs. These boots drain very well.

Simms Riversheds are my primary boot and are ideal for back country hiking, demanding wading conditions of the free stone streams I fish and the shale lined tibs of Lake Erie. I cannot say enough about the Simms but this latest offering from Patagonia is certainly worth your consideration if you're in the market for new boots. I think the Simms are a bit more rigid and over time will provide more support than the Patagonia, but to be fair, they're new boots and I've worn them 10 days. Time will tell I suppose.
Hardyreels likes this.