The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 PM

kayakfishmontana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Im with you on the BOA system. why fix something thats not broken
Old 07-01-2013, 02:55 AM

chris_dore is on a distinguished road

The Boa system gives people the alternative to laces. Its quick, easy, and perfect for cold fingers. They also snug / mould the whole boot easily to the foot. They can be opened up easily for a very quick entrance. The issue is, as mentioned the issue of when the wire breaks. Spare lacing systems are readily available but not everyone wishes to mess around with these.

I opt for simms riversheds. I cover a load of miles over some pretty interesting terrain here in Southern NZ and find with the extensive rubber rand these boots have outlasted all others I have tried: if i could, Id wear hiking boots as these are designed for the miles I do, however they aren't designed to remain wet day in / day out. This is where the river sheds prevail.

Ive tried a bunch of boots searching for the holy grail: a light, quick dry boot that will handle typical NZ abuse. So far these are the closest Ive found.

For me personally, I want laces when Im in the middle of nowhere. At a whim, a leader butt can secure my boot if a lace breaks.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 PM

stormcrow is on a distinguished road

Korker Chromes are what I have and they have been fantastic in their 3rd season of heavy use.
The replaceable sole allows you to have a brand new sole whenever needed and has not been problematic at all. I find they are easier to put on and take off than laced simms guide boots i had previously, although i really loved my simms boots too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Business Member

taylorreels will become famous soon enoughtaylorreels will become famous soon enough

I own the Korkers Chrome with the boa system. One word "Amazing"! Super light weight. They look cool. I put them on once and dont have to mess with them all day. I have not seen or heard of a boot that is better. I have used Simms and Orvis boots and I don't think you can really compare. I would not hesitate to recommend these boots to anyone.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorreels View Post
I own the Korkers Chrome with the boa system. One word "Amazing"! Super light weight. They look cool. I put them on once and dont have to mess with them all day. I have not seen or heard of a boot that is better. I have used Simms and Orvis boots and I don't think you can really compare. I would not hesitate to recommend these boots to anyone.
After reading your post and totally agreeing with what you said I did a little research. It's nice to be all things to all people but Korkers makes footwear. Outdoor footwear at that and has done so for 1/2 a century.
It shows. They specialize and nailed it with the Chromes.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow, this thread has a life of its own here. It has kept going for going on 2 years now That's pretty cool, I notice a large Korker Chrome following lately. I have no doubt they are serving well and may give the brand another go next time I need a boot.

The Simms Riversheds are good as new after a season and a couple weeks this year. I am going to add some more studs to them soon, I was staggering around in some boulders the other day without my staff and was wishing for a little more bite.

Good to see all this feedback on boots, keep it coming.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-29-2013, 03:48 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I should chime in about my second pair of LL Beans Aquastealth Grey Ghosts. I guess what I like is the versatility of hiking into a canyon with them dry, wading then putting a gortex or similar booty over dry socks and hiking out. The first time it was a 4-5 mile hike in when my regular hikers delaminated and 4-5 miles uphill/out with my wading boots with a 40+ lb pack. This time it was only about 2 miles in and back. I think another plus for tungsten cleats is that they stay sharp for a very long time even hiking over rocks.
So the question Ard, is what boots did you end up getting-2 years ago???
Old 07-30-2013, 01:50 AM

dusty h is on a distinguished road

Thought I would throw in another vote for Korkers. I have the metalhead's and they are awesome. I know a lot of people are skeptical about the boa if they have never tried it but I am a firm believer in it. I was one of the people who doubted the whole system 6 years ago and then I got a pair of snowboarding boots that had the boa system and impressed would be an understatement. If there is one thing I do more than fish its snowboard and when I had those boots I was putting roughle 100+ days a year for about 3 years before i retired those boots. They literally fell apart but the boa system never failed once. The next big seller for me on the korkers is the opening to get your foot into the boot. The most frustrating thing for me with wading boots has always been when I have to put my foot in and have to fight to get in. My stocking foot would always jam against my toes and by the time I was done for the day my feet would be ridiculously sore because of it. With the korkers the opening is big enough that my foot slides right in with no resistance at all. The Korkers are the first pair of boots where i havent had to think about my feet at all during the day and i can concentrate on fishing. That alone makes the boots a winner in my book.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 AM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

I didn't have tons to spend so when my Simms boots gave up the ghost, I picked up a pair of Korkers Redsides. It's been 2 seasons & I love them. They don't have the wire BOA system, so that kinda sucks but they are light and comfortable & they are built to last!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road

Looking for the best or within budget? If you are looking for the best wading boot check out this article
mcnerney likes this.