The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 06:04 PM

meadballs has a spectacular aura aboutmeadballs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

I use the Simms Pro Guide wading boots and I love them. They I have worn them on 3 mile hiking trips and my feet felt great.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:14 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

I just recently switched from my Simms Rivershed boots to the Patagonia Ultralights. In my opinion, the Patagonia boots are an overall better boot. They have great traction and support and are built like tanks!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:08 AM

timd will become famous soon enough

I got a pair of Korkers KGBs and after 40 years of buying boots these are hands down the best fitting most comfortable one ever! Great ankle support and with the interchangeable soles any type traction you need. Soles now change out I less than 30 sections. Hike in with the hiking soles and switch out to any wading soles you like.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 PM

fredy is on a distinguished road

This past year i was using the Korkers Chrome Darkness, They fell apart after 2 months, warranty replaced and the second pair lasted 3 months, warranty repair and the third pair lasted 7 months. 1st pair toe caps just peeled away, 2nd pair stiching came apart and toe caps peeled away too, third pair the toe caps have completely worn through and now hve holes in them (mind you I was applying Rustoleum truck bed liner to help extend the life of the toes, wears right off!) I blow through soles (I fish about 3 times a week) like nobody's business and thats the only reason I buy the Korkers. I was was not wearing soles out so fast i would like to get Simms, but cant justify buying boots every 3 months or so :-( I recently scored some Metalheads for $111 shipped. I hear the Metalheads last longer than the Chromes, I hope so and if that is the case I'm gonna buy a few more pairs! LOL!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
I didn't have tons to spend so when my Simms boots gave up the ghost, I picked up a pair of Korkers Redsides. It's been 2 seasons & I love them. They don't have the wire BOA system, so that kinda sucks but they are light and comfortable & they are built to last!
No they aren't. At least not with regular, vigorous use on freestone streams. My wife and I both use this model and while we really, really like the quick-change soles and find the boots comfortable -- they don't last for either of us under regular, hard use. (We both fish a couple of times a week, and often for entire days on the weekends).

The foot bed of the boots will come unattached to the boot itself within about 4-5 months for us, and I have already taken 1 pair back and the new ones are starting to do the same thing in the same time frame.

Not durable -- but I'm convinced that all wading boots are **** to be honest. Glue just doesn't hold up for rigorous use.

Last edited by turbineblade; 11-13-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

I am also giving Korkers a big thumbs down. I own a pair of Metalheads and fish 1 day per week every week. The stitching is starting to pull apart in two places and I had to replace one pair of the replaceable soles already. I wore them down in less than 40 days of use.

They are very comfortable and I dig the BOA lacing system but...

C'mon Man! They can do better than this!
fredy likes this.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:25 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I just emailed korkers -- will post the response here.

The thing is, i would happily pay the extra $ for the metalheads or chromes, but they appear to be built in the same manner....so what's the point? If I could get a pair of wading boots that I know would last maybe 3 years of hard use, I'd be happy to pay $250 or more for them just to not be annoyed .

Korkers redsides are not well-made, unless you fish very little and/or you wade in very gentle conditions. I don't care what anyone says.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM

fredy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I just emailed korkers -- will post the response here.

The thing is, i would happily pay the extra $ for the metalheads or chromes, but they appear to be built in the same manner....so what's the point? If I could get a pair of wading boots that I know would last maybe 3 years of hard use, I'd be happy to pay $250 or more for them just to not be annoyed .

Korkers redsides are not well-made, unless you fish very little and/or you wade in very gentle conditions. I don't care what anyone says.
The Redsides are weak, hence the price. I have read the Metalheads actually wear better than the Chromes. I blew threw 3 pairs of Chromes in les than a year! I just ordered a pair of Metalheads for $111 shipped. I dont care what any one says wading boots doent last and jusr because they say "guide" on them does not mean ****. Same goes for waders, i have acouple pairs of the Simms G4 and they always have leaks, WTF!! My cheaper Simms Headwaters and LLBean Wiaist high have had less issues than the $700 G4's. As far as i know no one makes stuff that lasts anymore. So you have to look for more "bang for your buck" products. ie. LLBean lifetime warranty

Fredy
Old 11-13-2013, 01:31 PM

I've decided to go all LL Bean from now on. You absolutely cannot beat the warranty --

Korkers, to their credit, did respond to my email very quickly with the usual "we have a 1 year warranty" etc. I appreciated the quick response, but the fact remains that they don't make good boots for regular, enthusiastic fly fishermen, regardless of their warranty.

My wife's boots are trashed just at the 13 month mark -- but it's really just via random chance. Getting >1 year of use out of these is just by chance.

My replacements are falling apart now at the 4 month mark and though I could send them back, I believe I'll just do my own glue-job and save them for extras.

To me, Korkers banks on the vast majority of "occasional" fishermen, relying upon most people to use the stuff so little that quality really doesn't matter. There is simply no way a regular user wouldn't wear these out. They're glued like tennis shoes

Some companies are just better than others -- there's no way around it.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I just purchased a pair of the Frog Toggs Rana boots for $60 this past weekend, have not used 'em yet, but they feel comfy for a 1st pair of wading boots. I don't plan on wearing 'em like most of you guys with lots of walking/hiking and standing in water for extended periods. I plan on using 'em during the winter while launching my small boat that requires wading in to launch or load. I tried a pair of Korkers with the interchangeable soles (can't remember the model name), they were comfy but in size 12 so that's why I got the FT Rana's in 11's. I wear a 10 street shoe and can wear some wool socks and the waders and all seems good right now.

Do wader boots stretch some with use like street shoes, or not? Do they shrink some while wet and you're wearing 'em or not?? Would like to know what to expect since this is another first for me in the FF game. LOL