The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 04:33 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Update: I spoke to a CS rep at Korkers and they wanted to send my wife and I replacements. I have to admit, that's pretty good CS from Korkers. They said they'd send a model a step up from the redsides as well.

We'll see how that goes, but I was surprised at the response honestly.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:58 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

With a new pair of Simms G3 waders on the way it's time to figure out what boots to get! Use to wear my bootfoot hunting waders. Went to Pulaski for Salmon a month or so ago so I picked up the Korkers that slide over the boot. After a half a day fishing they needed to be duct taped onto my boots. After 4 days of fishing one foot was miuns 1 cleat and the other was minus 3 cleats. Was really considering Korkers with the removable soles, but after my experience I'm leaning back to Simms. G4 BOA are pretty ugly, but have been getting a lot of recognition. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what all they release for 2014!
Old 11-15-2013, 03:22 PM

fredy is on a distinguished road

Depending on how much you fish will determine what to buy. I hit the water 3-4 times a week and do alot of walking. I tend to blow trough studded felt soles every 3 months, so a boot with permanent glued on soles wont work out for me. This only leaves me with Korkers since I can repalce the soles, and when I go up for Steelhead I just swap the soles out for the extreme rubber studded soles. I found the Korkers Metalheads on amazon for $111.00 shippe free. thats a great price. i have heard they last longer than the Chromes (blew through 3 pairs of chromes in less than a year :-) ) Korkers new line will be released in the begining of December. Some of my buddies have the Simms wading boots and pretty much have the same issues with the boots not lasting. I hope some of that info helps.

BTW, I have worn through Weinbreners and Chotas too. :-(

Fredy
Old 12-29-2013, 10:37 PM

jr2525 is on a distinguished road

IMO nutting on the market beats Simms waders, but as far as boots, I'm a fan of the Cabela's Guide series. I've got a pair that's about 9 years old that have held up to 80-100 days of fishing per year. Had to buy a new pair last year because my stream has outlawed felt soles for fear of dittimo. Hoping my new Cabela's rubber sole Guide model boots give the same longevity.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:51 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I like the Simms Guide boots, They have lasted longer than my previous Korkers. I like the feel of them and with the studs they works on slippery rocks.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 01-13-2014, 10:44 PM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

I'm thinking about a pair of the Patagonia's with the aluminum bars. They look solid and really grippy, but one wrong step and adios fly line.... Anyone try them yet??
Old 01-14-2014, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

I know there are people posted here with their reviews / opinion on them but I don't know which page. Try the Search and use 'Patagonia Boots Bars' and see what it gives you. I would PM a couple people to see how they are wearing overall. I find that a rubber sole with adequate studding will be good traction in most places. My concern are boots that delaminate or have the stitching come apart under 3 years.

You've got to consider that at the prices charged and the fact that they are supposed to be made for use fishing..................... They should hold up to being wet and being walked in a lot. The date on this thread is when I ended up ordering the Simms River Shed boots within a couple months. I've been happy with them thus far, they are very comfortable and haven't came apart yet.

Ard
labradorguy likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-14-2014, 10:43 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I have liked my Simms boots, but it is getting time for a replacement. They are the old G4 guide boot. I want to keep them around for fishing around town.

I had read a lot of good stuff about the Orvis boots, but was just told they are delayed due to issues, and delayed a long time. Anyone hear anything about this?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 PM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

I know there are people posted here with their reviews / opinion on them but I don't know which page. Try the Search and use 'Patagonia Boots Bars' and see what it gives you. I would PM a couple people to see how they are wearing overall. I find that a rubber sole with adequate studding will be good traction in most places. My concern are boots that delaminate or have the stitching come apart under 3 years.

You've got to consider that at the prices charged and the fact that they are supposed to be made for use fishing..................... They should hold up to being wet and being walked in a lot. The date on this thread is when I ended up ordering the Simms River Shed boots within a couple months. I've been happy with them thus far, they are very comfortable and haven't came apart yet.

Ard
I'll do that. Thanks. We have some nasty slick rock that gets a slime on it and it is SLIPPERY. Felt used to work great but now it's illegal. I thought the bars might be more comparable. I had some Simms with studs that totally fell apart. I thought I would change it up a bit, but I'm guessing one is as good as the next and they are all basically built cheap... Is anyone building a non-Chinese boot these days??
Old 01-15-2014, 10:30 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I'm on my 3rd or 4th season with the same pair of Simms wading boots... Granted come May/June I ditch my waders/boots for wet wading/shoes... But they easily have a couple hundred days of use. Have only had to replace laces.