The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

The Walker...I know this sounds really dumb, and I feel bad for posting, since I am sure this isn't the case, but any chance you didn't get the booty seated properly and they were squeezing your toes?

If I am not careful, it happens to me sometimes. I ski, so can relate it to putting on a ski boot and making sure your heel is locked back and the liner is situated correctly. I like to slip my wading boots on and walk and a little leaning into them and making sure the stocking foot is al the way down in and the toe is all the way forward. Otherwise, sometimes the heel isn't all the way down, the toe isn't all the way forward, and my feet get pressured and it feels like the boots have shrunk.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:49 PM

schrederman is on a distinguished road

I just got a pair of Cabela's Boa Tech Guide Wear boots. My feet have grown some and I'm normally a 10 these days. I bought size 12 and got them today, tried them on with my wolly socks and waders. They fit well. I was most impressed with the Boa lace system. It has a thin stainless steel lace that tightens with a knob where I would usually tie the laces. That's the greatest thing since sliced bread! Pardon my enthusiasm if this isn't something pretty new... I am a newbie to all of this, pretty much. However, my body isn't new... by any stretch of the imagination. This makes getting into and out of my waders much easier for an old guy...
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Far easier on, I almost go here.

Fellow carries a small plastic dish pan and fills it with water and gives the inside of his boots a good soak. That done in go the neo-booties to get them wet. The water acts as a 'lubricant' for a lack of a better term

I do soak my boots before I put them on and it really helps.

fae
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I just got a pair of Korkers Metalheads today. They are very light weight, roomy, and real easy to get on and off. I like the boa system. Buy Korkers in your actual street shoe size, and they will fit well. Mine came with both felt and rubber soles. Once I get to try them out, I'll post a report.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:47 PM

joshw is on a distinguished road

I finally got to take a look at the Simms Vapor boot at a shop yesterday. This will be the boot I purchase this year. It feels light and looks very well constructed. I think this will be a winner for those of us who cover lots of ground during a day.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM

shifty242 has a spectacular aura aboutshifty242 has a spectacular aura about

After thoroughly wearing out two pair of boots, I have also recently found myself on the market for a new pair. I was dead set on buying a pair of the Simms Rivershed. I have other Simms products and I believe in the brand. Also, I like the way the look and I imagined I could put in a lot of miles/hours on the water. The problem is that my foot is "in between" their sizes. Too tight in a size 10 and way too much room in a size 11. Bummer.

I ended up coming home with a pair of the Patagonia Ultralights (rubber sole). The fit is perfect and I enjoyed wearing them on my first trip this past weekend. Very light and comfortable.

For those of you who own them or have owned them in the past, is there anything I need to know?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:13 AM

Donovan is on a distinguished road

I have tried wearing a pair of wading boots only once. Probably werent the best boots cause they were far too uncomfortable. With waders or without It was just not working for me. Tried a few on through my time but they just all felt to bulky and stiff for me.

Currently I use a pair of Adidas aqua shoes. Again, with or without waders and they are awesome. Wet grass, clay banks, rocks, gravel makes no difference. I find I have far better feel through the soles so I know what I am walking on and they grip very well.

One of our rivers, the Vaal river has multitudes of different areas to try and traverse and these have been my best buy for any water based activity ever.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:50 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

Just finished my first trip with my Patagonia ultralights (felt). Four days of hiking and wading. Found them to be very comfortable and supportive. Plenty of traction in the water and the snow-covered bush trails. So far, I'm very happy with them. Definitely lighter than my previous boots (Simms Guide) - especially when wet, and just as supportive.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:27 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Got some info straight from Simms Customer Care regarding the G3 and the new G4 BOA boots. For those of you looking at the two , this might help

If you are seeking a boot with a bit wider toe box and snug ankle fit, the G4 Boa Boot is your boot. The new asymmetrical Boa lacing systems offers a variable fit, meaning that you can fine-tune this lacing system and adjust the lacing to your specific preference. You will find a tighter fit on the ankle rather than the top of your foot, allowing for thick socks inside of your stockingfeet. I found these boots to be very comfortable for fishing in the deep of winter, and I was not restricted in movement while wearing our thick Exstream Wading Socks.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
I have tried wearing a pair of wading boots only once. Probably werent the best boots cause they were far too uncomfortable. With waders or without It was just not working for me. Tried a few on through my time but they just all felt to bulky and stiff for me.

Currently I use a pair of Adidas aqua shoes. Again, with or without waders and they are awesome. Wet grass, clay banks, rocks, gravel makes no difference. I find I have far better feel through the soles so I know what I am walking on and they grip very well.

One of our rivers, the Vaal river has multitudes of different areas to try and traverse and these have been my best buy for any water based activity ever.
Interesting, first reference to these I've seen. Must do a google and look these up.

fae