The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Ard ,got two pairs(Simms and Greys) have been using for a while and I'm pleased with them.The Greys with rubber&felt soles are very light and have a good grip,the Simms are cleated so I don't use them whem I fish places with slick rocks,in that case they become iceskates
Got a second hand(I mean second foot) pair for you ....special friendly price...Hart wading boots pm if interested
Old 09-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I would like to add that since i got mine and have used them in the hard to wade rivers in Oregon and Washington, they have held up great. Stitching is still great, boot material has held up great, no tears, stressing, etc. Since they redesigned how the interchangeable soles mount now, it is a lot easier to switch out soles.

I have been looking for a reason to get the new model, but frankly my old boots are in too good of shape still to justify it. lol

$180 for their top of the line wading boot is a very good deal...

Fishing Wading Boot | Chrome | Korkers
Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

I agree with Van in regards to Korkers. I'm a big fan...but I will add that they do not support their old versions very well. I have up graded from the orginal up to their Omitrax w/ the BOA. I have not tried their newest version. I was a bit upset when I requested some repairs/parts for some drain vents that were lost after a few months of use. They told me that the parts/repairs could not be done because they no longer made the boots, even though the boots can still be bought at some stores. (Streamborn ver) They are still usable w/o the vents (lost due to poor quality workmenship), I gave them to my son and bought a pair of the Guide boot with the BOA system. I still like the Korkers but don't look for support from Korkers unless you keep up with their latest. Most of us cannot do so.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:39 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I have 2 pairs of the Cabela's Ultra Light boots and am very happy with them.
ulflyfisherman likes this.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:24 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I just returned after an afternoon on my favorite stream where I tried out my new Simms Headwaters wading shoes (with the carbide studs).

The stream bottom is covered with algae covered rocks & mud. I was wary about the traction I would get as compared to my older felt soled boots. I am happy to report that the traction was the same. The Simms boots had superior traction on the stream bank and on dry ground. My older felt soled boots used to be a bit slippery on the grassy banks.

My good fortune carried into the fishing, landed several rainbows and a large brown. As luck would have it, I did not have my camera and so their memory remains solely in my mind

Overall, I am thrilled about the Simms Headwaters Boots with the installed studs. The boots offer the same traction as felt in the water, while being better on the stream banks. Plus they are significantly lighter than my old felt soled boots.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:54 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I have the Simms rip rap shoes , good for drive by fishing.

As far as boots I got the Simms G4 for Christmas. The choice was driven around the fact I hike alot when I fish. The G4 is everything I hoped for, light durable comfortable and stable. I hikes 6 miles in them yesterday no problem. I am in shape , just remember round is a shape

I go 6'1" 245 lbs so I am not light on my feet , so these boots really do good for me.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I bought a pair of Simms Rivershed boots this year and I love them! Maryland banned felt soles so I did a lot of research on websites and read reviews on a number of different boots and finally settled for the Riversheds. I put the studs in them and they work great. I fish a very rocky streambed that is mostly treacherous to walk in and these are very durable and comfortable. Good ankle support and good toe and heel protection. I would recommend them highly!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-25-2011, 11:41 PM

thecatpoop is on a distinguished road

I bit the bullet, went with the Patagonia Riverwalker sticky. Patagonia and Simms were head to head with Patagonia in the lead as I hike alot and really liked the light and flexible boot. When I found the riverwalker for 99 bucks I jumped at it, sealed the deal, in the mail, I will post a full review after some time on the river
Old 09-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow, talk about replies

I'm going to wait another week before buying so keep the reports coming. I knew we would have a lot of Simms users and Mountain View Sports in Anchorage has them & Korkers, and maybe Patagonia also. I have read everyones post and really appreciate your taking time to give such detailed replies to me.

Wow

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to hear from Orvis boot owners. They bested both Korkers and Simms in a revent head to head test.

The Underground Posts The Mother Of All Rubber Soled Wading Boot Reviews (And Comes to a Few Surprising Conclusions) ? The Trout Underground Fly Fishing Blog

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy