The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

So I am a horrible writer so I will skip doing a full blown review. I got out today, and used the new Simms G4 Guide boots with the BOA laces. These are the ones shown a few posts back with the aluminum studs. Aside from the fact they are $239 and then I slapped $40 worth of aluminum studs in them they were fantastic.

Today was day one on them and I got about 3.5 to 4miles on them and they were so comfortable it was unbelievable. I struggled getting the BOA lace tight enough at first, my fault not the boots. They felt super light while hiking but yet tons of support.

In the water I didn't feel like I missed a beat with the aluminum studs, actually had fantastic traction in some fairly swift water on moderately slick rocks. When I got home I inspected the aluminum studs and notice no appreciable signs of wear on the studs.

IF you can get past pushing $300 for a studded up pair of boots, these were great.

My William & Jospeh wader bag finally ripped out so now I have to go get a new wader bag too.
mcnerney, jaybo41 and ia_trouter like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Last edited by comeonavs; 07-13-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:26 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I will be definitely posting a review ASAP. It was between the G4 Boa and the G3 Guide. When Simms said the G4BOA is roomier in the toe box that sold it for me since they will primarily be winter boots. They were comfortable in the shop, so I hope that translates to the water.

Where I got a little worried was when I grabbed the star cleats and they said no, get the aluminum. 99% of the time I would have said no thanks and went with my gut feeling and what I know. However it was a guide who I really trust and he steers me right on a lot of things. We've actually became personal friends, which mean I spend way to much $ in that shop. I always take him flies I've tied and vice versa. Since it was him who said he swears by the aluminum ones and is on the water 200+ days a year. I figured I would roll the dice and worst case scenario I would replace the aluminum with the stars. I know its a pricy experiment but what the heck.

I have the Star ones in my Rivertek summer boots so I will be able to do a comparison easily enough.

I hear you on the knees I was a avid extreme skier in the 80's early 90's, just I didn't have all the talent in the world, just no fear or brain. My knees don't hurt to bad yet, they just sound like rice krispies when I kneel down.

I will keep an eye out on the shrinkage too ( "I was in the pool" Costanza). Ive had the Simms headwaters, G3's and Rivertek's. I haven't experienced shrinkage yet.

******EDIT********

What the heck,snapped a few pics. Those Aluminum studs are a lot beefier looking than I imagined before I bought them

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks for the photos Comeonavs! Looking at those aluminum cleats, they sit down "inside" the tread unlike the steel cleats I'm used to that stick out beyond the tread. I'll bet hiking with your boots would be more comfortable than walking on top of steel studs. I would also think there won't be as much pressure exerted on the aluminum studs.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:08 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
Thanks for the photos Comeonavs! Looking at those aluminum cleats, they sit down "inside" the tread unlike the steel cleats I'm used to that stick out beyond the tread. I'll bet hiking with your boots would be more comfortable than walking on top of steel studs. I would also think there won't be as much pressure exerted on the aluminum studs.
You are correct, compared to the carbide ones you can hardly feel them when walking the trails. I was also surprised how deep they set in the sole compared to the others as well. Ive fished the aluminums 8 times or so now and so far so good on traction and durability. They are pricey but so far seem worth it. Now if Abel would make some brown trout colored cleats for 3x the price I would be real happy.....just kidding says the guy who has bought all his buddies Abel nippers/hemos as gifts

I do have to say I have the Simms Reverted BOA for summer wet wading and love them. The G4 BOA for waders and winter while very comfortable I really struggle for some stupid reason getting them "tight enough". Now granted I upsized them for wool socks and icy winter fishing so that probably lends to them not feeling as snug as I would like. It takes me ratcheting them, fishing, re-ratcheting, fishing and re tightening then they are good.More my fault than the boots.
ts47 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 11-15-2014, 12:44 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
You are correct, compared to the carbide ones you can hardly feel them when walking the trails. I was also surprised how deep they set in the sole compared to the others as well. Ive fished the aluminums 8 times or so now and so far so good on traction and durability. They are pricey but so far seem worth it. Now if Abel would make some brown trout colored cleats for 3x the price I would be real happy.....just kidding says the guy who has bought all his buddies Abel nippers/hemos as gifts

I do have to say I have the Simms Reverted BOA for summer wet wading and love them. The G4 BOA for waders and winter while very comfortable I really struggle for some stupid reason getting them "tight enough". Now granted I upsized them for wool socks and icy winter fishing so that probably lends to them not feeling as snug as I would like. It takes me ratcheting them, fishing, re-ratcheting, fishing and re tightening then they are good.More my fault than the boots.
It's good information to have. Thanks for taking the time to post all the information!

BTW... Could I be one of your buddies too?
comeonavs likes this.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM

deanb10s is on a distinguished road

Did any of you guys that put in the aluminum cleats have to glue them in? I've been told by a guide that they come out pretty easy and that the "brass" looking star cleat stays in better.

Sent from my using Tapatalk