The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Silver & Everyone who has responded,

This post sort of tells the rest of the boot story, and why I'm in the market for more.

I wore a pair of vintage Brogue boots yesterday, they are a late 1990's version and they were much more comfortable for the long creek hike I put in than the 2 year old Korker boots I have.

I should have written this in original content: Although I may purchase another Korker product the pair I currently own has a malady. The right boot is self destructing, interestingly enough a forum member who visited here and fished with me this summer has the same boot with the same 'right foot' problem.

I contacted Korkers customer service and did my best to be completely honest; I confessed that the boots were over a year old (about 14 months at the time of call) but I pressed the point that I use a river boat to get to where I fish and have not worn the boots for hiking creeks. I described the overall condition of the left shoe as like new and the right as coming apart and extremely uncomfortable on the foot. I also told the fellow that I had purchased every sole that was sold for the boot in question and if they were not interchangeable with the 'new' boot it would be a problem.

The rep on the phone told me that since the boot was over 12 months old they would not be covered by warranty but I could send them back if I wanted. I felt as if my reporting on the boots was in doubt and was reluctant to pay 18.00 to mail them in with no indication that the company would be stepping up on the product. Yes they are over 12 months but yes I do ride in a boat and wade only a hundred yards in either direction prior to moving the boat so.................... That's why I was looking at Simms and Orvis for a new boot.

As I said before thanks to all of you for giving me all this feedback on your chosen wading boot. It will go a long way in my decision on a new pair.

Thanks again,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-26-2011, 03:54 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Ard,
I have the older Korkers guide model. I've been really happy with the comfort and fit. The boa laces really work well in the winter when regular laces freeze. My only complaint has been with the studded sticky rubber soles. Because of the size of the studs, the sides of the sole tends to come out of the groove. The other soles seem fine and I don't think it will be a problem with the new design.

The soles have only fallen off once (one foot only) when I was kind of stuck in some middle river goo.

Mike also carries the Korkers if you wanted to shop closer to home. (probably has the Simms also)
Old 09-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stan,

I haven't taken them off the choices list but will be real careful evaluating them in the first 11 months

Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Hi Ard,

I didn't see your post when I started mine! I'm with you on the customer service part. I've had mine about 4-5 years. The only wear on mine is some slices in the tongues from the cables.

It would be great if the rubber was usable without studs, then our boats would remain safe!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I have a pair of Orvis boots with rubber and metal studs. I also have a pair of Patagonia Riverwalkers with rubber only. The Patagonia boots are exceptional, yet very light. The Orvis boots are standing by as backups, but have not been used in three years. I can't say enough about the quality and comfort of the Patagonia product. I use them everywhere, including salt water (surf fishing). There's no metal to corrode, and they still look like the day I bought them, despite some serious use in the Sierras and elsewhere.

Cheers,

VB
Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I originally purchaed a pair of Cabela's Ultralights and really liked them. The price was right but they started to come apart at the seams. I took them back to Cabela's and they gave me another pair and the same thing happened so I returned them and used the credit to purchase the Simms Rivershed which I posted that I love. I think the Savage River that I fish a lot in is just a tough, rocky, slippery river with lots of ways to get your boots stuck and twisted. I think I just needed a tough boot to meet the conditions. Other than that, the Cabela's boots were comfortable and for general river or creed wading would work fine.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Thanks for that Von Behr,

The Pat's are on the list and the shop in town sells them. I will be trying them all out for comfort and will report the choice here. My mind is far from made up, that's why I ask the group.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

A unsatisfactory customer service experience would be enough to put me off an entire brand.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I'd like to hear from Orvis boot owners. They bested both Korkers and Simms in a revent head to head test.

The Underground Posts The Mother Of All Rubber Soled Wading Boot Reviews (And Comes to a Few Surprising Conclusions) ? The Trout Underground Fly Fishing Blog
yes yes I know these are pretty old, but so am I...... The Orvis boots I scored at the shop back in the day were the "Battenkill Wading Brogues". Yeah, pretty much a lame name, but a darn fine fitting boot,felt and all. Too bad I wore the bajezzus out of them and they lasted about 6 months. I ended up with a studded pair of Weinbrenner or "Borger" boots- the classic choice. FWIW back then Danner made a fine pair as well...
Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Russ,

I went through 4 pair of them from when they came out till they quit making them. They were comfy. I had a pair on yesterday, still comfy but soon the back will split outta one boot.................