The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

Ard,

I am on my 2nd pair of Simms Rivershed boots and the newest version is the better of the two. My first set was great, they lasted me between 3-4 years. I found them to be supportive, didn't take on much water weight, extremely comfortable, and much like a hiking boot. I am very hard on shoes in general and these things have held up very well. They had the studded aquastealth soles. Last fall, I found myself skating a bit on the shale bottoms of the Lake Erie tribs. The studs pushed into the sole and just didn't bite that much anymore. The aquastealth was getting worn and the boot had seen better days, it broke down after many miles in them. They are however serviceable for a backup pair or for more casual fishing and easier wading conditions. It was a no brainer to look at the newest version of the same boot. I bit the bullet and picked up the starbite cleats and can wade with confidence again. Very pleased with the Simms boots. Good luck in your search, let everyone know what you end up with.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jaybo,

You can count on my report on the purchase. Thanks for taking the time to tell me your experience with the Simms products. They are at the top of the try them on list as soon as I get to town.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 PM

sixweight will become famous soon enoughsixweight will become famous soon enough

I just bought a pair of Simms Blackstone boots (Vibram sole) during my Pink Salmon trip to Campbell River. I used them for one day without the Carbide studs and found them great on the rocks in high, fast water. I put the studs on to protect the stitching on the sole that is not recessed into a groove. After a week in them I was very happy except for the stitching issue, but I don't think it will be a big problem. Very good support, I think.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:11 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

So what did you end up with Ard? Did I miss a review somewhere along the line? Been out of town for work for a week.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jay,

I have not made a purchase yet! The shops here are out of Simms Rivershed & the Guide Boot in my size. Both are back ordered until December 13. I want to try boots on before purchase and can't do it at this time.

The good news is that my old Orvis boots are still in service and they do not cause any discomfort. Yesterday I put a few miles on them and they will be the boot that finishes up the season here for me. When I get boots it will be too cold to fish but I'll post the choice and will write on them next spring.

That's the way it goes if you have big feet I have found places on-line that have size 14 (I want some wiggle room) but I am leery of buying without trying and will wait. All of the advice and support that has came from that one simple question is overwhelming and I appreciate it greatly.

But I have to wait............................................

Ard

Old 10-15-2011, 12:29 PM

sthpaw is on a distinguished road

Just bought the patagonia rock grips. Will let you know after a few miles in them. I've always heard Patagonia's warranty is second to none.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 AM

utvolmntman is on a distinguished road

I have the Simms Rivershed..Awesome boot
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 PM

sopo bj is on a distinguished road

I resently went with the Simms Rivertek BOA. I really like them, I can quickly cinch them down for the water and loosen them for the hike. The best thing for me was to try them all on and find the most comfortable boot. I just added the hardbite stars to the bottom before a trip to the slimmy klamath river, wow they grip like no other, my buddys running cork were sliding like crazy! I did notice the star loosen on me sometimes, but might be my fault for hiking in them. On a side note I hiked 2-3 miles a day in them with no issues....
Old 10-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Thanks for all this great feedback, I am still waiting for them to come in to the shop here...............................

Old 10-20-2011, 04:04 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I am jumping in late here, HR, so I don't know if rubber soles are your choice. I am now wearing Patagonia's newest boot with carbide studed FELT soles. They are wide, comfortable and very supportive. The recessed laces are a nice design touch too. Speaking of laces, they are wide and flat nylon which hold a knot well unlike some round nylon laces. My previous pair were the Simms which I liked a lot but wore out the laces to the point where they would break when tightening them at a metal eyelet 2/3 through each season. The newbuck coating peeled off of them before too long as well. Simms have improved their design since mine were new a few years back though.

I put an Aquastealth boot on one foot and a felt on the other and waded across a rocky river, then repeated the experiment with studed versions of each. Felt and especially felt with studs is the clear traction winner. Regarding wet felts propensity to carry invasive ich...is it greater than my nice soft laces, fabric covered neoprene booties, landing net mesh or the tubular chambers and muddy wheel wells of a boat trailer? Felt soles have gotten a bad rap in my view, however, lets strive to keep all our gear clean.