The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

I'm on my second pair of LL Beans and upgraded to the Grey Ghosts that have sizing to accomodate your neoprene booty and thick socks with your given street shoe size. My older ones are still holding up but I wanted ones with more room in colder water. I absolutely love the Aquastealth rubber soles and studs. So much so I hiked 4-5 miles uphill with a 45lb pack in rocky scree when my older hiking boots(Contagrip soles) delaminated on the way down. I have never found them unstable in slimy riverbeds but then again I wade slowly and use a staff. My older LL Beans are 12 years old but I only used them 6-8 times a year. Oh yeah $125/pair.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 AM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about

I think Cabela's make a darned good wading boot, especially for the price.
Cabela's: Cabela's Ultralight 2 Lug Wading Boots
Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 AM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

Simms Guide boots are built to last. I am rough on my boots and these are the only boots I've had that lasted more than 2 season. Also probable the most support and comfortable boots (built like hiking boots) I've owned.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:31 PM

ramset is on a distinguished road

Just my .02

Was able to purchase a pair of pat. rock grips for an AK trip. They worked great for that trip, being that felt is on the outs- however I found them to not be as "grippy" as advertised. The alum. bars would skate right across alot of boulders. When I got home (mt) i promplty sold em- and have been very happy w/ my Korkers metalheads w/ Svelte 2 soles.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM

altos is on a distinguished road

Beware of Simms Alumalite cleats. Frankly, I don't know if many places continue to carry them. Issues: they fall out with ease and cost a fortune to replace. Also, the screws strip easily in the sole (so tightening them down is problematic) I noted this to Cabela's (where I bought the boots) and they sent an nice email but declined the opportunity to replace the boots and studs. Thanks Simms, thanks Cabelas. The way around this is to go to your local hardware store and buy a bag of cap screws. Screw them in place AND use RTV or some other flexible adhesive on the threads. True, the screws will cost $2.50 instead of Simms' price of $28.00 but ohhhh welll. Cheap, effective and fully functional. The Rivershed boots... like them BUT, having been hosed on two sets of their absurd star alumalites AND stripped holes in the boot soles, I am a bit tainted by both Simms and Cabelas. Live and learn.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune with the alumabites. I have the same Riversheds as you and have had the starbites in since the day I got them which is going on two seasons now. I've never had one fall out but have had them loosen up on me. I few turns with a screw driver fixed my issue.

Just curious, did you take them out and replace them in the same holes? When I read the instructions, they specifically said that each hole is good for about 2 replacements before the screws wouldn't hold. Another thought, have you tried to contact Simms? They are generally pretty good about customer service.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

My last pair of boots I purchased was the Patagonia Rock Grip. Best boot to date. Like some of the other guys, great fit, comfort (walk all day in them) and price was reasonable. They have a awesome warranty.
Craig
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM

ramset is on a distinguished road

Another vote for the korkers. I had the pat. rock grip aluminum bar boots for a total of about 1 month. Gottem for a trip to AK, and they were ok. Back in MT, they couldn't hold a candle to the studded felt, and the even better svelte2 soles. I ended up selling them. My main problem was that they weren't as "grippy" on rock as they are advertised. There is quite a bit of buzz about them, but I found them to glance off the rocks quite a bit. I know it's kinda apples and oranges to compare alum bars to studded felt, but hey, this is just my .02. I'm pretty psyched about the svelte 2 soles. Holding up pretty good so far (9 months).
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I don't like wearing metal studs if I don't need to simply because I try to be stealthy and I am sure they are LOUD under water. MY wife and I both wear the Chromes and are beyond happy with them. They are extremely light and I can walk in them and fish for 10 hours without feeling uncomfortable at all.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

I just picked up Simms Rivertek's with the boa lace. They sure feel different at first, I hope that when I get them on the water this summer I get used to how the even pressure from the boa system works.

I like the easy on/off/adjust concept