The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Which New Wading Boot?

I got the Orvis boots in my actual shoe size because they tend to run large - one size up was definitely too big for me -
The Simm's guide boots were acquired for free 2 years back in a size 10, a bit small for me so I gave them to the kid, who was running an 8-1/2-9 shoe size -he loved those boots but quickly outgrew them in a major growth spurt from 14 years old to 16 - and and now takes a size 11 in the Orvis boots -
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM

Nearenuf is on a distinguished road

I bought a pair from LL Bean that have rubber bumps covering the sole. They work pretty well, are light, and dry quickly. I have had them for three years of heavy use and they wear well. Not as good as felt, but those were the days..
They cost $85.
Hardyreels likes this.

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:53 PM

keep_lookingup is on a distinguished road

I have gone through a dozen boots over the years, SIMMS, can't go wrong

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Forgot to add, the LL Beans, with the bumps on the soles, first time I hit the water, and I mean the first time I stepped into the stream, Lake Fork of the Gunnison in Colorado, I was on my butt instantly. Me and my wife had a pair and they were slicker than snake snot!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 AM

double d is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
I use the Orvis river guard wading boots now , there a slightly larger fit which is good for me because over the stocking foot waders I wear a neoprene socks, Simms largest pair .. then it protects the wading sock and is very comfortable , Merino socks underneath the stockingfoots thou.
Good points, as I'm a "newbie" to fly fishing, but I bought this pair last year and I took them out for numerous fly fishing trips. So far, very happy with the quality and "feel" of the boot. A little on the big side, but as mentioned above, a good pair of socks combined with the proper Wader, you will be in business.

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959
Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by double d View Post
Good points, as I'm a "newbie" to fly fishing, but I bought this pair last year and I took them out for numerous fly fishing trips. So far, very happy with the quality and "feel" of the boot. A little on the big side, but as mentioned above, a good pair of socks combined with the proper Wader, you will be in business.
its Orvis Pro- Guide Waders I wear and I wear simms neoprene sock over the Pro-Guide stocking foot.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM

mboyd is on a distinguished road

I picked up a pair of the korkers chrome boots on sale for half off at my local shop. My only complaint has been the boa lace system. I just can't seem to get them snug enough to give any type of ankle support. It seems to defeat the purpose of having high top boots if all you are getting is sneaker like support. To get them even close to tight enough, I have to really crank the dial, making me fairly concerned that I am stressing the little plastic bits in the dial. I have cycling shoes that use this system and they work great. But they are never cranked down like I have to on these boots. Anybody else have this issue? No matter how hard I crank the dial, they just won't get snug enough!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

One reason I stuck with with LL Beans Grey Ghost is the sizing. I wear a size 8 reg. LL Bean recommended I get an 8 wide to accommodate thick wool socks along with the neoprene fishing cold rivers and I haven't had cold feet in 2 years. I was told the true size was fine but a wide allows for thicker socks. I've been happy with the Aqua Stealths for the last 12 years of fishing and even using them to fill in on a pair of delaminated hiking boots for a 4 mile hike uphill in rocky scree with a 45 lb pack.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyd View Post
I picked up a pair of the korkers chrome boots on sale for half off at my local shop. My only complaint has been the boa lace system. I just can't seem to get them snug enough to give any type of ankle support. It seems to defeat the purpose of having high top boots if all you are getting is sneaker like support. To get them even close to tight enough, I have to really crank the dial, making me fairly concerned that I am stressing the little plastic bits in the dial. I have cycling shoes that use this system and they work great. But they are never cranked down like I have to on these boots. Anybody else have this issue? No matter how hard I crank the dial, they just won't get snug enough!
Maybe thicker Merino socks may help or do what I do and put a pair of neoprene socks over your stocking foot if you can fit them into your boot with comfort. if not make a pair of 4"-5" neoprene bands ( get some cheap wet socks and cut them across) and wear them over the top of stockingfoot ..around the ankle area .

hope it helps
Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I haven't had that issue at all with the boa system. I can wear them with thin running socks or with running socks, a toe warmer and thick smartwool socks with no issues at all. I never want laced boots again, especially in the winter.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 AM
deathwish

were did you buy korkers on sale for 69.99?????????????