The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 12:49 AM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing from in a sit-in kayak?

I spin casted/bait fished all the time from my sit-in kayak without any real issue. I started fly fishing this past summer and love it. I don't think I'm ever going back to spincasting or baitcasting.

Anyone ever use a fly rod from inside a sit-in kayak? thoughts?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly fishing from in a sit-in kayak?

Every weekend

Headed to the river now will give some detail later today.

Dave
Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Sure! I fished out of the older style Dagger Blackwater before buying a Native Ultimate. Regardless of the type of kayak, I just make sure that I reserve a space in front of me for line and try to remember to keep my backcast up high off the water. I think a longer fly rod will help w/ this, but other forum members have paid more attention to the latter issue, so will let them provide additional info.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:07 AM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:40 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the northeast, a lot of guys use sit-ins to fish the salt.
You're more protected from the elements.
I've been out in my 20 year old Perception in seas where the waves were up over my head. I'm not sure that I'd feel safe doing that on a sit-on-top.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
I just make sure that I reserve a space in front of me for line and try to remember to keep my backcast up high off the water. I think a longer fly rod will help w/ this, but other forum members have paid more attention to the latter issue, so will let them provide additional info.
I find that a shorter rod is better for "fighting" and landing fish. Just make sure the rod is long enough to keep the line from getting hung up on the bow or stern.

I've had big fish "rest" right below my seat when fishing with a 9' rod. I couldn't budge them. I'd move the boat enough to get better leverage and they'd head right back to where the pressure was the lightest.
When landing a large fish, a longer rod is more likely to snap from a "high stick". You need to angle the rod tip way out to keep it from doubling over, making it easier for the fish to escape capture.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:20 PM

IkenI is on a distinguished road

Not from a sit-in but I used to do it frequently from a canoe until I bought my Native U12. It's even better from it! I use shorter glass rods.