The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Orvis vs. Simms Sling Packs

I've seen a good deal on the Simms Headwaters Sling Pack, but am torn between that and the Orvis Safe Passage Sling Pack. The price difference is $10 in favor of the Simms bag. Does anyone have experience with either of these bags or opinions either way?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Orvis vs. Simms Sling Packs

I have this

Simms Headwater Waist Pack | Front Range Anglers | Boulder, Colorado Fly Fishing Shop and Guide Service

Cant speak of the model you are looking at, but this one works well for going lightweight. My only complaint about this hippack is be careful choosng the one you buy if you carry a camera with you. This one doesn' have a "waterproof" pocket. I took a spill and my camera got wet, luckily I was able to get to it quickly to dry it out.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:51 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I have been using the simms sling pack this season and like it. since adding a loop/magnet to the strap for a net and a pin on fly patch I have not missed my vest. It holds 2 large Allen c&f style boxes, four of the Orvis super slim boxes and other misc. stuff in the main compartment. A camera in one of the outer pockets and tippet and a small box for shot and indicators in the other. Nippers, forceps and floatant hang on the outside.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:31 PM

wetboot is on a distinguished road

I've been using the Orvis slingpack since the summer. I really like it, but one thing I found out is that I think it is a uni-directional design. What I mean is, I sling my bags (briefcase, messenger style) over my right shoulder, so the bag slides back around my left side. This is how I wear my everyday bag. After a while, it seemed that the retractor patch, where I have my nippers attached, seemed a little difficult to grab. I was browsing the Orvis website, and sure enough, in the demo video, the guy is wearing it on the opposite shoulder! He slings it around his right side, but to me it feels awkward, like it gets in the way of my casting arm.
I still love it, and it's really not that big of an issue, but I wish they had made that more clear, and/or maybe offered a r/h and l/h version. If you can try it out first, definitely do so.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

I use the Orvis sling pack. I sling it over my left shoulder. It's an older model. The only downside was it only had one "D" ring, and that was on the strap back so I used that for my net. I sent feedback to Orvis and heard they may have added more "D" rings. Hope so.
No experience with the Simms.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I just started using the Simms 'Headwater' sling pack and it seems to be working pretty well so far. I agree with the previous post about it not being water tight, I also took a spill and had to dry the camera but it wasn't very wet. The pack doesn't advertise as being water tight so just something to consider.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/