The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Simms vest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/191699-simms-vest.html)

jcw355 10-07-2011 05:32 AM

Simms vest

My old vest is falling apart so I decided to spend a little money and get what I hope is something much better that would last significantly longer. I'm posting mainly to let everyone know that the size chart is right on only if you just wear the vest. I should have contacted Simms and asked them if vest sizing accounted for waders being under them. The person I talked to led me to believe sizing did take into account having waders under them. Get one size bigger. It would have been a really tight fit if I tried to zip it up. My problem is, there is no place local to try one on.

fyshstykr 10-07-2011 09:52 AM

Re: Simms vest

Can you send it back for another one a size larger?

IkenI 10-07-2011 01:26 PM

I have an older Simms Guide vest and it is slightly smaller than my BPS mesh vest. I tried it on and actually liked it better because of the way it felt on my shoulders. Mine doesn't have a zipper - just has a plastic snap tab which adjusts. It works fine with either chest or waist high waders. Whenever possible I prefer to wet wade with shorts and a T-shirt so it shines there. Backwoods in OKC has some Simms vests.

jcw355 10-07-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyshstykr (Post 328487)
Can you send it back for another one a size larger?

Yes, they are even sending me a return shipping label. Todd, from reelflyrod.com, called me and recommended for me to go 2 sizes up. He said the simms sizing chart is off.

Frank Whiton 10-09-2011 04:00 PM

Hi jcw355,

I hope you get the size sorted out. In any event you picked a great vest. I have always liked the Simms designs and light weight materials.

Frank

cochise 10-09-2011 06:50 PM

I am 6' and 200 lbs and wear an XL simms vest. I tried the Large once and it was ok for summer fishing but I prefer the XL for both summer and winter.

jcw355 10-09-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cochise (Post 329514)
I am 6' and 200 lbs and wear an XL simms vest. I tried the Large once and it was ok for summer fishing but I prefer the XL for both summer and winter.

Going with the large vest. Simms chart said 44"chest was a size small. Fit perfect with my t-shirt only.

jcw355 10-11-2011 07:21 PM

I'm 5' 11" around 190 lb, 44" chest. Todd sent me a large size vest and it was a little loose so I think it will be fine. So anyone looking to get a simms vest around my size, a large or even an XL will be fine with waders. ONLY use the chart if your going to get a vest to wear in the summer with a t shirt under it.

sweetandsalt 10-12-2011 10:21 AM

As traditionaly styled vests give way in the marketplace to chest and sling packs, Simms deserves a compliment for continually up-dating the classic vest - still many of our preference - using technicaly advanced materials. I love the bubble-mesh yoke liner that promotes cooling air circulation and molded polyester veritcle fly box pockets that facilitate one-hand use in my several year old model. A well designed, well built vest that is holding up to vigorus use admirably. Simms also designes some of the best fitting, longer-billed fishing hats available anywhere.