The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road
Default What hat(if any) do you wear?

So i lost my baseball hat somehow and i'm looking to buy a new hat for fishing. i think i'm not going to use a baseball hat anymore as there is little neck protection and my neck got it good last time. So i'm wondering what hat, if any, do you guys wear when you go fishing? and recommendations on brands would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What hat(if any) do you wear?

I wear an up-downer..... like Lefty
I like the fold down back not so much for the sun, but to deflect a cold breeze
Columbia sells them, but you can get logo ones from TFO and Sage,... maybe others.
I have three in nylon, cotton, and gore-tex

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi ssjchar,

I like a hat with a cape. Gives the best protection for the neck and top of the ears. Another good tool is a bandanna. It gives great protection to the neck and can be used for a bunch of other things including first aid. On a hot day dip it in water and wear around the neck. The ones sold by Feather-Craft are extra large.

Frank

Feather-Craft Bandanna 27"x27"
Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Here's a view on the topic- The Ultimate Warm Weather Fly Fishing Hat? It Might Just Be a Boonie Hat... | The Trout Underground Fly Fishing Blog

I go with a large palm leaf hat on the local rivers,

and a ballcap and buff combo at the coast.

The palm is like a sun blocking beach umbrella, but the ballcap and buff combo is less likely to get blown off by coastal winds.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I own lots of hats.

Sometimes I go with the ball cap. If I need additional sun protection, I wear the Buff along with it.

I have an up-downer that is made by Patagonia. Unfortunately Patagonia stopped making them.

I have a boonie-hat that i got from a flea market.

MP