The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coldweather fishing gloves

I wear the fingerless wool gloves until it's really cold and then switch to wearing a thin fleece glove as a liner with rubber dishwashing glove over the top... honest
They're thin, comfortable, warm, and completely water proof
The only problem is the color

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 AM

wetboot is on a distinguished road

I picked up these for next to nothing on STP with one of their super-duper coupon codes: Jacob Ash Hot Shot Foldback Fishing Gloves - Neoprene (For Men) - Save 48%

I've tried them on twice, and the foldback part of the fingers is already stating to rip (which is probably why they are on closeout). I may dab them w/ a little head cement or just wait until they come off and make them finger-less on those two fingers, but either way they are really comfortable. And were super cheap.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Does anyone know of a thin fleece glove like simms that has the fold over?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:49 PM

wetboot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i've tried glacier gloves before and really liked them.
here are some on sale-
Glacier Glove 957 Fleece Fingerless Fishing Gloves - Windproof, Neoprene Palm - Save 42%

casey
Fortunately, I get a 3-times-a-day sale email from STP Use YTD5762Y. It dropped the price down to $10.50.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
100% wool with fingertips cut off is the bomb.
I've always found that once it is so cold that these won't work it's probably too cold to say I'm enjoying myself.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I wear the fingerless wool gloves until it's really cold and then switch to wearing a thin fleece glove as a liner with rubber dishwashing glove over the top... honest
They're thin, comfortable, warm, and completely water proof
The only problem is the color

Click the image to open in full size.
You can get black rubber gloves at Home depot, I have a pair.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Does anyone know of a thin fleece glove like simms that has the fold over?
Simms Fishing Products -- Gloves

I have the Simms Windstopper 1/2 finger gloves and unless they've changed things, they are not anywhere near as warm as the wool gloves even when wet. The wool does a better job repelling water than this version of fleece gloves in my experiences. They are very thin, which does make them comfortable, but once wet, they're not that warm and need to be rung out--which is when I grab the wool ones and let the others dry out.

Simms has the fold overs in both the Freestones and Windstopper.

LL Bean has both the Ragg Wool and Windblock foldovers, they're worth a look.

mens gloves at L.L.Bean

If want Simms and you are able to find the older version, pull the trigger, they were much better IMHO. Still, can't go wrong with their 1/2 finger wool offering. I put them to the test last steelhead season and they were tremendous.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I've always found that once it is so cold that these won't work it's probably too cold to say I'm enjoying myself.
LOL great logic there Ard. For the most part, I agree with you but there are those days where I'm catching fish and can't seem to get myself out of the water. Or those days where you have cabin fever and do something ridiculous like go to State College with Chi flyfisherman in the middle of winter, temps in the single digits and fish Spring Creek, just to get out of the house and into some fish
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Extra thick grey, wool fingerless "bummy" gloves. I love those things. Warm as can be and stay warm even when wet. I never really need anything more than that in NW Oregon.