The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Coldweather fishing gloves (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/197578-coldweather-fishing-gloves.html)

ted4887 10-23-2011 04:05 PM

Coldweather fishing gloves

I just placed an order for a pair of Simms Windstopper foldover mitts for this upcoming winter. Last year I was using a pair of Cabelas Glommits(I think that's what they're called anyways). What does everyone else prefer to use when the tips start dipping below freezing?

Hardyreels 10-23-2011 04:12 PM

Re: Coldweather fishing gloves

I have a couple pair of wool finger tip type gloves that serve until it gets real ugly then I fall back on an old pair of Orvis neoprene gloves circa I'm not sure............... old.

littledavid123 10-23-2011 06:02 PM

I had a pair that I wore during the 80's when backpacking. They were liner gloves and had a silvery thread within the weave and they where the best I ever had. Would love to be able to find those things again.

Dave

gatortransplant 10-23-2011 06:19 PM

I was looking at a pair of NFS (I think) neoprene full-finger waterproof gloves for fishing the winter. I'm thinking the full-finger may be a bad choice due to the detrimental effect on tying on flies. Any thoughts?

littledavid123 10-23-2011 06:54 PM

Did some searching on the net and discovered Macwet gloves. Anybody on the forum with some comments on these would be appreciated.

Dave

jcw355 10-23-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatortransplant (Post 336410)
I was looking at a pair of NFS (I think) neoprene full-finger waterproof gloves for fishing the winter. I'm thinking the full-finger may be a bad choice due to the detrimental effect on tying on flies. Any thoughts?

I got use to wearing 3mm full fingered cold water scuba diving gloves. I never took them off till I was done fishing. I had no problem tying a fly on with or without using my ty-rite. The gloves I use are Henderson H2 Titanium. Thicker isn't better either, you lose dexterity. I have a pair of 5mm and only wear them shoveling snow. 3mm is plenty thick enough for me, your hands won't be toasty warm but they won't be freezing cold after getting them wet handling fish in the cold all day. I have a pair of regular neoprene gloves that are lined inside but the outside is too "grippy". The Hendersons have a lining on the outside that isn't "grippy" except for the palm area and bottom side of fingers.The fly line slides better thru your fingers with the Hendersons. Not cheap, $45-50. I like them and will continue to use that type of glove for cold weather.

jaybo41 10-23-2011 09:05 PM

100% wool with fingertips cut off is the bomb. I also have the fold overs that you mentioned for use when needed. They work very well, but I find that line gets caught up on them often. I prefer the wool, but keep those handy when the conditions call for it.

Have seen Buffalo Gold advertised and read about them, they sound great. The price is steep though.

caseywise 10-23-2011 09:40 PM

i've tried glacier gloves before and really liked them.
here are some on sale-
Glacier Glove 957 Fleece Fingerless Fishing Gloves - Windproof, Neoprene Palm - Save 42%

casey

Jimmie 10-23-2011 10:02 PM

I use fleece half finger gloves in the cold.

jpbfly 10-24-2011 03:22 AM

Bought a Sealskinz pair last year:(not a product that I will recommend:icon_frow very disappointing.