The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 04:05 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all
Default Coldweather fishing gloves

I just placed an order for a pair of Simms Windstopper foldover mitts for this upcoming winter. Last year I was using a pair of Cabelas Glommits(I think that's what they're called anyways). What does everyone else prefer to use when the tips start dipping below freezing?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Coldweather fishing gloves

I have a couple pair of wool finger tip type gloves that serve until it gets real ugly then I fall back on an old pair of Orvis neoprene gloves circa I'm not sure............... old.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a pair that I wore during the 80's when backpacking. They were liner gloves and had a silvery thread within the weave and they where the best I ever had. Would love to be able to find those things again.

Dave
Old 10-23-2011, 06:19 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I was looking at a pair of NFS (I think) neoprene full-finger waterproof gloves for fishing the winter. I'm thinking the full-finger may be a bad choice due to the detrimental effect on tying on flies. Any thoughts?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Did some searching on the net and discovered Macwet gloves. Anybody on the forum with some comments on these would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I was looking at a pair of NFS (I think) neoprene full-finger waterproof gloves for fishing the winter. I'm thinking the full-finger may be a bad choice due to the detrimental effect on tying on flies. Any thoughts?
I got use to wearing 3mm full fingered cold water scuba diving gloves. I never took them off till I was done fishing. I had no problem tying a fly on with or without using my ty-rite. The gloves I use are Henderson H2 Titanium. Thicker isn't better either, you lose dexterity. I have a pair of 5mm and only wear them shoveling snow. 3mm is plenty thick enough for me, your hands won't be toasty warm but they won't be freezing cold after getting them wet handling fish in the cold all day. I have a pair of regular neoprene gloves that are lined inside but the outside is too "grippy". The Hendersons have a lining on the outside that isn't "grippy" except for the palm area and bottom side of fingers.The fly line slides better thru your fingers with the Hendersons. Not cheap, $45-50. I like them and will continue to use that type of glove for cold weather.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

100% wool with fingertips cut off is the bomb. I also have the fold overs that you mentioned for use when needed. They work very well, but I find that line gets caught up on them often. I prefer the wool, but keep those handy when the conditions call for it.

Have seen Buffalo Gold advertised and read about them, they sound great. The price is steep though.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've tried glacier gloves before and really liked them.
here are some on sale-
Glacier Glove 957 Fleece Fingerless Fishing Gloves - Windproof, Neoprene Palm - Save 42%

casey

ARFE
Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

I use fleece half finger gloves in the cold.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Bought a Sealskinz pair last yearnot a product that I will recommend very disappointing.