The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 11:39 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone have or know someone who has a Porta-Bote???

I've been looking at these on the internet and they do seem interesting. I've got a smaller car and certainly can't put a trailer/boat on it, but something like this I could car top.

Anyone out there have any experience with these?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone have or know someone who has a Porta-Bote???

I just sold my Klepper folding kayak the other day. They fold up surprising small and are packed in bags. One for the framing, one for the skin.

:: Klepper America
Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Ive seen em, they seem unstable to me, I would rather have a pontoon or float tube personally though some say they like the portaboat.

You know, even with a small car, a 12 foot aluminum boat and harbor freight trailer weighs in pretty light, my 14ft aluminum and harbor freight boat trailer is easily pulled behind my 6 cyl 2 door wrangler and I barely notice it is there. Probably has a total weight of around 300 lbs - most cars could tow one.

d
Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Had one that I hung on the side of my 18 foot fifth wheel trailer that I pulled with a VW pickup. The boat was ok on calm water, dont stand up in the thing, it was real skatie. My first aluminum boat was a Sears 12 foot with a trailer and I towed that thing down a ton of logging roads through out the Sierras with a Chevette 4 banger with the boat loaded with gear and fire wood.
Id go with a tube or pontoon over the folding boat, just my 2 cents.

Rick
Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 AM

davidd is on a distinguished road

I've had one for about two years now.

I run mine tied to the top of the vehicle.

I have more information if you would like?

DavidD