The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 04:05 PM

9piferad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Filson Strap Vest vs Foul Weather Vest

Ard
It sounds to me like the old adage comes into play here, "you get what you pay for". It seems that way for most of the Filson gear. I just see it that if i splurge now and get what i want, good quality gear, it should last me, and hopefully save me some money in the long run (or at least it sounds good in my head). I have a few of their other articles of clothing from them, and was hoping to hear exactly what y'all told me about the vest!

Thanks much,
Andrew
Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I like Filson stuff and all of it is high quality that I have seen or used. However, I don't like their oil cloth/waxed items at all. They are heavy compared to others and come with a distinctive oder. Now I have not looked at one for many years and maybe they beat the oder problem. They are tough but just not for me.

Frank
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I like Filson stuff and all of it is high quality that I have seen or used. However, I don't like their oil cloth/waxed items at all. They are heavy compared to others and come with a distinctive oder. Now I have not looked at one for many years and maybe they beat the oder problem. They are tough but just not for me.

Frank
The odor goes away in about 6 weeks and because one is limited to the amount of gear you're able to carry, I would guess that it weighs less than the normal vest crammed full of stuff that is never used.

Dave
Old 10-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I smile every time I speak highly of waxed jackets and such because I know Frank thinks they smell funny. I'm smiling as I write this because when I read the post from Frank I thought; 'heck, anyone who has floated a river with me and camped for a few days knows that I come with a distinctive odor myself'.
rockriver likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Yeah, here are some pictures.
Foul Weather
Click the image to open in full size.
Edit: Better pic
Strap Vest
Hi Carl,I could carry enough for a week.
Joke aside,a real beaut vest thanks as I've been looking around for some time & will check it out.
Brian
Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Your not old, you've simply aquired a patina
Well as a new guy here I was looking for a decent sigline, and this is about as good as it gets!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I just backtracked and caught that one; funny stuff shows up here and that's a good one Swirlchaser!

With patina,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-30-2011, 12:16 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibby View Post
Well as a new guy here I was looking for a decent sigline, and this is about as good as it gets!
Thanks, I'm honored! I don't think I've aquired much patina yet but my haircuts don't hide the greys like they used to...
Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
. . . because one is limited to the amount of gear you're able to carry, I would guess that it weighs less than the normal vest crammed full of stuff that is never used. Dave
Well, no one ever said you had to keep your vest crammed full of stuff you never use
Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 AM

mdraft1 will become famous soon enoughmdraft1 will become famous soon enough

I have the strap vest by Filson and us it all the time. I found the backpack part of the foul weather vest to be less use full on the water. I rubbed filson wax on the strap vest and it is as water resistant as the foul weather vest.