The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM

bjj0725 has a spectacular aura aboutbjj0725 has a spectacular aura aboutbjj0725 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Filson Strap Vest vs Foul Weather Vest

Just ordered one of these, (Foul Weather) it should be a step up from my pockets
Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I just came across this post and find it very informative. I never realized that there was a differance in the Filson Vest. Now that i know, it'll be the foul weather one for me. Where is a good place to get one?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:11 AM

shrek82 is on a distinguished road

Mad River Outfitters in Columbus,OH carries a full line of Filson and has free shipping.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

strap vest for me dry finish love mine looks better every trip fades out looks nice and weathered
Old 03-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjj0725 View Post
Just ordered one of these, (Foul Weather) it should be a step up from my pockets
I've owned and used one for 12 years, they are very handy. After that many years I did send mine back to have it re-treated by the company. I have waxed it several times through the years but the factory finish made it like new again. The fact they take on a weathered look is part of the draw for me, I like old stuff that looks worn. I guess it kinda goes with the aging thing with people, I am looking sort of weathered and worn these days myself

Ard
stoneyclove likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-07-2012, 03:44 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

I received the Foul Weather Pack Vest after ordering directly from Filson in less that 48 hours using 3 day Fed Ex. I'm impressed with it. Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I really like mine, I know you'll like yours.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I smile every time I speak highly of waxed jackets and such because I know Frank thinks they smell funny. I'm smiling as I write this because when I read the post from Frank I thought; 'heck, anyone who has floated a river with me and camped for a few days knows that I come with a distinctive odor myself'.
I like the smell of of the vest; but, maybe it's just me that smells that way.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

For anyone that has this, what are the dimensions of the pockets on the front?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:19 PM

I thought you asked about the rear pockets and measured them. Main is approximately 12 x 12 x 4 and the secondary or outer pocket is app. 9 x 9 x 1 1/2 inches. If no one else chimes in with the front ones by the time I get on here tomorrow, I'll measure them. I will say that there are enough inner and outer pockets that if you decided to load them down, it's a bunch of gear and will haul more than I can ever really need for fishing. Adding in the rear pockets for a water filter, rain jacket, and Gore Tex Bivy Sack, I could easily spend spend 3 or 4 days in the wood fishing with a few little things tossed in.