The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 08:41 PM

9piferad is on a distinguished road
Default Filson Strap Vest vs Foul Weather Vest

Hi there, I have been looking for some time, and have been trying to decide between Filson's strap vest and the foul weather vest. I have been looking and trying to find the difference between the two. If anyone has handled both and give me a bit of an insight on it, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Andrew
Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filson Strap Vest vs Foul Weather Vest

The difference between them is the foul weather is waxed making it not only water proof but more durable as well. I have the foul weather vest and it is the bomb, water beads off it when raining and no worries about mold, mildew or rot. Another forum member has had his for over 10 years and just sent if back to Filson to get a new coat of wax. Not only will they last, but they have a cool retro look that I enjoy.

Dave
Old 10-27-2011, 09:05 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I am waiting on a regular strap vest. I found one for a great price and since I wear daypack most of the time I didnt' think I needed the extra in the back. Planning on rubbing filson wax all over it anyway.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Ok, thanks guys! Dave, so it sounds like the foul weather is the way to go. Carl, you mentioned something about extra room in the back. So i take it that there is a bigger compartment in the back of the foul weather vest?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:46 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Yeah, here are some pictures.
Foul Weather
Click the image to open in full size.
Edit: Better pic
Strap Vest
rockriver likes this.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:50 AM

Alrighty, cool, thanks! Really appreciate it!
Andrew
Old 10-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I guess I'm guilty of calling mine a strap vest Since it is the waxed type that would make it the 'Foul Weather' model. You'll like it,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-28-2011, 06:23 AM

I appreciate it Ard! Looks like the foul weather vest it will be then!
Andrew
Old 10-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Andrew,

I'm not going to say that they are the most efficient vest / pack combo on the planet but they do have character and as a fly fisher we tend to gravitate toward things that possess this quality. I like equipment that takes on the patina of age as you and it put in the years together. When I look at pictures of myself taken 15 years ago and compare them to the most recent addition it becomes obvious to me why I don't like the new wave of things. I look older! Therefore it seems normal for me to see some old worn piece of tackle in my age & weather wrinkled hands or clothing my frame. You'll enjoy growing old with the vest................

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-28-2011, 03:57 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Andrew,

I'm not going to say that they are the most efficient vest / pack combo on the planet but they do have character and as a fly fisher we tend to gravitate toward things that possess this quality. I like equipment that takes on the patina of age as you and it put in the years together. When I look at pictures of myself taken 15 years ago and compare them to the most recent addition it becomes obvious to me why I don't like the new wave of things. I look older! Therefore it seems normal for me to see some old worn piece of tackle in my age & weather wrinkled hands or clothing my frame. You'll enjoy growing old with the vest................

Ard
Your not old, you've simply aquired a patina