The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 07:01 PM

Joefishin is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Line Backing material

I don't know much about this stuff.

What is the difference between Waxed backing, unwaxed (OTHER THAN THE OBVIOUS WAX) and Teflon coated backing??

Cortland makes Teflon coated for saltwater, and I guess a couple of others do too. ( I am interested in saltwater flyfishing mostly but will be using the equipment on Kodiak this summer.)

A internet sales company has Waxed Green Dot, Angler's Connection backing for sale at a great price (compared to smaller spools). Since I have a few spools to fill, I am interested in the larger rolls. 30#

Info/expertise is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:24 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Line Backing material

This is a tropical salt response for tarpon permit bonefish...I use super braid...I put 200-250 tops of 50 or 65 on my reels. now I don't put more on cause I expect the guide not to let me have more than 100 yards of backing out...think about the drag on the tippet and fish with100 feet of fly line out 9 through 12 wt and 100 yards of 50-65 braid out and the fish turns 90 degrees... for example on my Ross Canyon BG 8 I first back filled with 100 feet of old 9wt then 250 of 65 lb Izorline then the 12 wt I want the large spool filled as much as possible so with 100 yards out my nearly full spool has fast take up...I use the fill because I don't need 400 yds of braid...I use the finer braid because provides a "fuller" spool thus faster pickup ...now one has to be careful with your fingers using the 50 lb on a run or when picking up and laying on the spool cause it will cut I use a glove
Old 05-13-2007, 02:46 PM

The dangers are there with the smaller braid. I was warned about the Orvis gelbraid, gel core, what ever it is. The dealer said that some of the guides in the tropics won't let you use it on their boats. Don't know if it is true, but makes sense. A fine braided line could probably cause some cuts. And, I understand your filling your spool for a faster retrieve. I will be wearing gloves too. And I will keep my fingers from the spool while the fish is burning it up.

Hmmm.. I have some time left so I won't rush to get the stuff. Just want to make sure it is going to be good..

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:56 PM

None of the flyfishing guides(not blue water guides) in on andros or GBI care what I use they don't touch the fly line let alone the backing as for the keys I fish two of the best in key west and they never said anything but get the ....fly in front of the fish with what ever wt you can do it with..and they never touch the line or backing just the leader... one did ask what's the yellow glove for...it''s light kevlar and the braid won't cut my finger
Old 05-14-2007, 01:37 AM

I don't know. It sounds stupid, but I will be glad when this trip is over. Reason being, I will know what to expect for the next time. I think it is going to be lots of fun with excitement around every bend, but not knowing the equipment, the fish, the environment is giving me the jitters.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Cortland Hi VIs 30# teflon treated 2500yd spool?? bad?

While loading a bunch of reels for my trip, I found three snotty areas of backing. These defects will probably be weak links in the system. Each was only about a half, to 3/4" frayed, or clearly blemed.. I was guiding the line onto the spools and was able to feel them pass through my fingers. One was close enough to the 150 yd mark that I just cut if off/out and left the line on the reel. Would have preffered more backing, but the rest seemed ok.. Anyone experience these small defects in this brand of backing line?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Cortland Hi VIs 30# teflon treated 2500yd spool?? bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefishin View Post
While loading a bunch of reels for my trip, I found three snotty areas of backing. These defects will probably be weak links in the system. Each was only about a half, to 3/4" frayed, or clearly blemed.. I was guiding the line onto the spools and was able to feel them pass through my fingers. One was close enough to the 150 yd mark that I just cut if off/out and left the line on the reel. Would have preffered more backing, but the rest seemed ok.. Anyone experience these small defects in this brand of backing line?
jose...yes i've seen it when i used dacron ...this could be splices if it's a single large spool...or are they six smaller connected spools with the connecting line worn or frayed...you can knot/join the backing...i assume it's 30 lb cortland if so a knoted backing just needs to test break above your weakest link i.e. the tippet