The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 PM

wetboot is on a distinguished road
Default PFD Vests in the surf

Anyone use a PFD/ life jacket vest while surf fishing? I'm getting ready for a week at Va Beach for thanksgiving, an my salt experience, so far, has been limited to the bay here in RI. I'll be right on the beach in Sandbridge for a week, and I know the waves can be pretty signifigant at times.
Maybe I don't need it, but the thought of one makes me feel a little more comfortable. Any thoughts?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:08 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: PFD Vests in the surf

I haven't, but I would. I have an inflatable and it is likely that I will wear it perching in winter. If your surf is treacherous like it is in Northern Cal, then I think it's perfectly reasonable to wear a pfd. You're the guy that knows if you should or not...and if you think so, then you should. Wearing a pfd won't cost you a thing...2 cents worth. -Mike
Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I never wore one when I lived down there but if you plan on wading out at all in early winter, better safe than sorry. If you would be up for a day trip take a look at a good map of the Eastern Shore of Virginia, focus on Assateaque Island and look to the Chincoteaque National Wildlife Refuge. I used to cross the Bay bridge and go over there as often as I could, once there you can find NWR maps that will show you the way to 'Tom's Beach'. So what's the big deal about this? It is a wild beach with sand dunes, sea oats, and pine barrens that grow right out to the dunes. Not a hotel or anything else in sight for as far as you can see. The only reminders I had of where I was and when it was were the occasional tanker on the horizon looking east. Did I mention people, no people! Well, maybe a few sometimes but far from a crowd.

I send you this post because this place is among my fondest memories of the Eastern Shore and it's worth sharing with others. The drive from VA. beach over the Bridge / Tunnel and up the peninsula is a beauty also, be sure to stop into Turner Sculpture in Onley VA. right on Rt. 13 before you get to the exit / turn (SR 175) for Assateaque. This is wildlife sculpture cast in bronze and you will want to spend the whole day there. If you don't know what to spend your money on next you'll know before you leave Turners.

This is a trip and you can get the feel for the distance by using Goggle Earth and getting the map for Onley VA. then pan north and south on Rt. 13, it'll show you the Bay Bridge Tunnel from VA. beach and 13 all the way to Rt. 175 where you turn to go to the Refuge. Unless you go back often you might as well go see these places while you're there. I give you my word that the Turner Wildlife Sculpture Studio will be the highlight of your trip. Even if you don't go all the way to Toms Beach to fish you need to see the studio.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I haven't, but I would. I have an inflatable and it is likely that I will wear it perching in winter. If your surf is treacherous like it is in Northern Cal, then I think it's perfectly reasonable to wear a pfd. You're the guy that knows if you should or not...and if you think so, then you should. Wearing a pfd won't cost you a thing...2 cents worth. -Mike
Thanks Mike. I wouldn't call the surf treacherous, although I'm sure a big storm can make it that way. I'm more concerned about me taking a tumble or getting caught in a riptide or something.
And yes, you're right, it won't cost me because I already have a vest for kayaking. I may look at one of those combo fishing vest deals, though.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I'd go for it. A few years ago while hunting ducks in the late season, I was out wading a back country pond along the edges following the cattail banks. I could hear mallards up ahead, so it was slow going in just above knee depth water. I could see what looked like bottom with each step, when I took one more step, I never did hit the bottom. I managed to get out with my gun and just about froze getting back to my truck which was about 1/2 mile away. I quite hunting ponds that I wasn't familiar with; but, now with the auto inflation vest, I'm thinking about doing it again.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetboot View Post
Thanks Mike. I wouldn't call the surf treacherous, although I'm sure a big storm can make it that way. I'm more concerned about me taking a tumble or getting caught in a riptide or something.
And yes, you're right, it won't cost me because I already have a vest for kayaking. I may look at one of those combo fishing vest deals, though.
I wear my inflatable whenever I wade alone or in difficult water....also use a staff anytime I wade at all. I wear it when float tubing. At 62 the balance is gone, the ability to recover balance after slipping is LONG gone and I'm almost certain that I'm not bullet proof. I don't even know it's there when it's on.

....better to have and not need than need and not have...

Your family will be happier if you love them enough to not die over a fish.

-m
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I never wore one when I lived down there but if you plan on wading out at all in early winter, better safe than sorry. If you would be up for a day trip take a look at a good map of the Eastern Shore of Virginia, focus on Assateaque Island and look to the Chincoteaque National Wildlife Refuge. I used to cross the Bay bridge and go over there as often as I could, once there you can find NWR maps that will show you the way to 'Tom's Beach'. So what's the big deal about this? It is a wild beach with sand dunes, sea oats, and pine barrens that grow right out to the dunes. Not a hotel or anything else in sight for as far as you can see. The only reminders I had of where I was and when it was were the occasional tanker on the horizon looking east. Did I mention people, no people! Well, maybe a few sometimes but far from a crowd.

I send you this post because this place is among my fondest memories of the Eastern Shore and it's worth sharing with others. The drive from VA. beach over the Bridge / Tunnel and up the peninsula is a beauty also, be sure to stop into Turner Sculpture in Onley VA. right on Rt. 13 before you get to the exit / turn (SR 175) for Assateaque. This is wildlife sculpture cast in bronze and you will want to spend the whole day there. If you don't know what to spend your money on next you'll know before you leave Turners.

This is a trip and you can get the feel for the distance by using Goggle Earth and getting the map for Onley VA. then pan north and south on Rt. 13, it'll show you the Bay Bridge Tunnel from VA. beach and 13 all the way to Rt. 175 where you turn to go to the Refuge. Unless you go back often you might as well go see these places while you're there. I give you my word that the Turner Wildlife Sculpture Studio will be the highlight of your trip. Even if you don't go all the way to Toms Beach to fish you need to see the studio.

Ard
Ard, great info here! I grew up between Charlottesville and the Shenandoah Valley, but we always vacationed in the Outer Banks. Due to this, I am just now getting to know the Eastern Shore area, and it is really amazing. This Thanksgiving trip looks like it will be regular for the foreseeable future, so I am charting out everywhere I can possibly fish in the region. There is a lot of fishing to be done.

That being said, due to my young children and other family obligations, my fishing this year may be confined to the beach in front of, or near, the house. It looks like I will also be across the road from the top of North Bay, above the Back Back Wildlife refuge. Also nearby is the Sandbridge Pier. My wife and I have discussed splitting the drive down, though, and doing a visit to Assateaque, so this may be a good excuse for me to push for it

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Your family will be happier if you love them enough to not die over a fish.
Agreed
Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I assure you that if you stop at the Turner Art Studio (Turner Sculpture) on the right side of 13 south at Onley VA. the entire family will be mesmerized by what they do with bronze. I made William Turners acquaintance in 1991 and got to know he and his sons. I have not been down to visit them or the gallery since 1999 and miss the area greatly. These are fine people and their art work is out of this world.

If my ongoing endorsement doesn't get you through the door maybe this will help

Turner Sculpture - Wildlife Sculpture in Bronze & Silver by William Turner & David Turner

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I assure you that if you stop at the Turner Art Studio (Turner Sculpture) on the right side of 13 south at Onley VA. the entire family will be mesmerized by what they do with bronze. I made William Turners acquaintance in 1991 and got to know he and his sons. I have not been down to visit them or the gallery since 1999 and miss the area greatly. These are fine people and their art work is out of this world.

If my ongoing endorsement doesn't get you through the door maybe this will help

Turner Sculpture - Wildlife Sculpture in Bronze & Silver by William Turner & David Turner
Ard, it is duly noted. I was checking out the site, and their work is really great. I believe I drove right by them last year, as we took 13 down to the Bay Bridge Tunnel.
Also, you may be interested in this-Mari Bolen Bronzes - Sculptures of the Old and New West.

A relative of my wife's, she is a bronze sculptor in Hamilton, MT. I can tell you that anyone who works in this medium is truly a dedicated artist, as it is an expensive and difficult process.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Try not to try to overthink this, just follow the rules
Rule number 0ne....Never turn your back on the surf
Surf comes in "sets" and often in a set of 7, with the 7th being the largest.
Rouge wave can come at any time
.... therefore...
Rule number Two...Never turn your back on the surf.

Landing fish in the surf can be difficult.... see rules one and two
Clamp down on the line and back up and pull, letting the wave push the fish up the beach. Don't let the receding water take the fish back.
Then do it again and again untill you feel safe bending over to grab the fish.
It can be quite difficult and your safety is more important than landing the fish.

If you always remember the rules and if you are careful and use your head, a PFD would be unnesserry