Box of big ol' junk

Reaction score
Tired of having my streamers scattered over several small sandwich boxes and reluctant to shell out $40 for a Cliff Beast box, i had the bright idea this weekend to fashion my own big streamer box

So off to the craft store i set with the idea of picking up a nice big box, and i was successful in getting what i can only imagine is a paint brush box for $10.99, measuring 13"x8" - PERFECT

Next was the liner. The Cliff beast uses some 'neoprene foam material' which google had no answer for, so i plumped for some kids foam floor tiles which are 1m square each - a 4 pack was $16 bucks.

Luckily my baby girl is just getting to walking and playing around the floor so the extras didnt go to waste.

Cutting the foam was a bit difficult as its about half inch thick and stanley knife blades don't go round corners too welll. But i managed to get the job done.

To fit the flies i just cut lines down the foam without going right the way through.

The final result is below. Filled with my streamers for steelheading this winter and the flies from the big meaty streamer swap held on this forum recently.

The foam looks a bit rough around the edges, but its fits pretty well into the box. I just need to get it glued in place and voila - a box for the BIG JUNK costing less than $20

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Nice job! I do the same thing for streamers and big saltwater flies. I found this case in a craft shop for $30. The smaller cases fit well in my sling bag (I can fit 4). I leave the whole case in the truck and just take what I need.

Reaction score
Were those lined or did you add the lining?
I think if theres even a quarter inch of lining its sufficient to hold the flies and looks better than my butchered job.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I made one a while back with a waterproof box I found at Academy. (pretty sure it was made by Plano)

The dots indicate the ends of slots I cut in the foam with an x-acto knife. I sprayed the foam panels with 3M's Super 77 adhesive prior to adhering them to the plastic.

williamhj

Reaction score
Nice job! I do the same thing for streamers and big saltwater flies. I found this case in a craft shop for $30. The smaller cases fit well in my sling bag (I can fit 4). I leave the whole case in the truck and just take what I need.

I have a box like that to organize my packs of fly tying hooks, but hadn't thought about using it for flies. Great idea!

spug

Reaction score
Very cool. I made a couple out of the same box...ArtBin from the craft store. I ended up buying some 4mm craft foam and slitting that. Hard to beat for $6.

Reaction score
Very cool. I made a couple out of the same box...ArtBin from the craft store. I ended up buying some 4mm craft foam and slitting that. Hard to beat for $6.

Artbin is right.
I had thought of the 4mm, but the hooks are BIG and just wanted a bit more grip. Rather than have them all over the box when i opened it everytime.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Artbin is right.
I had thought of the 4mm, but the hooks are BIG and just wanted a bit more grip. Rather than have them all over the box when i opened it everytime.
The 4mm is about what I used, That box full of clousers is tied on 2/0 saltwater hooks and it holds well. Once you fill in all the hooks compress the foam and hold everything pretty tight.