The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Box of big ol' junk

Tired of having my streamers scattered over several small sandwich boxes and reluctant to shell out $40 for a Cliff Beast box, i had the bright idea this weekend to fashion my own big streamer box

So off to the craft store i set with the idea of picking up a nice big box, and i was successful in getting what i can only imagine is a paint brush box for $10.99, measuring 13"x8" - PERFECT

Next was the liner. The Cliff beast uses some 'neoprene foam material' which google had no answer for, so i plumped for some kids foam floor tiles which are 1m square each - a 4 pack was $16 bucks.

Luckily my baby girl is just getting to walking and playing around the floor so the extras didnt go to waste.

Cutting the foam was a bit difficult as its about half inch thick and stanley knife blades don't go round corners too welll. But i managed to get the job done.

To fit the flies i just cut lines down the foam without going right the way through.

The final result is below. Filled with my streamers for steelheading this winter and the flies from the big meaty streamer swap held on this forum recently.

The foam looks a bit rough around the edges, but its fits pretty well into the box. I just need to get it glued in place and voila - a box for the BIG JUNK costing less than $20
Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2011, 09:13 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Box of big ol' junk

Nice job! I do the same thing for streamers and big saltwater flies. I found this case in a craft shop for $30. The smaller cases fit well in my sling bag (I can fit 4). I leave the whole case in the truck and just take what I need.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Were those lined or did you add the lining?
I think if theres even a quarter inch of lining its sufficient to hold the flies and looks better than my butchered job.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Were those lined or did you add the lining?
I think if theres even a quarter inch of lining its sufficient to hold the flies and looks better than my butchered job.
I lined then myself. 1/4" foam from the craft store. Paid $1 a sheet and was able to line two cases per sheet.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I made one a while back with a waterproof box I found at Academy. (pretty sure it was made by Plano)

The dots indicate the ends of slots I cut in the foam with an x-acto knife. I sprayed the foam panels with 3M's Super 77 adhesive prior to adhering them to the plastic.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Looks great Cliff.

i'll have to get some of that glue spray. Regular super glue wont cut it i think

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Looks great Cliff.

i'll have to get some of that glue spray. Regular super glue wont cut it i think
You have to get a glue that won't eat the foam. 3M 77 works well
Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Nice job! I do the same thing for streamers and big saltwater flies. I found this case in a craft shop for $30. The smaller cases fit well in my sling bag (I can fit 4). I leave the whole case in the truck and just take what I need.

I have a box like that to organize my packs of fly tying hooks, but hadn't thought about using it for flies. Great idea!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:51 PM

spug is on a distinguished road

Very cool. I made a couple out of the same box...ArtBin from the craft store. I ended up buying some 4mm craft foam and slitting that. Hard to beat for $6.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spug View Post
Very cool. I made a couple out of the same box...ArtBin from the craft store. I ended up buying some 4mm craft foam and slitting that. Hard to beat for $6.

Artbin is right.
I had thought of the 4mm, but the hooks are BIG and just wanted a bit more grip. Rather than have them all over the box when i opened it everytime.

Addicted To Vise