New fly line?

Fishplease

Reaction score
Hey there people, my fly line is getting old and never was that good in the first place. I have 50$ to spend, and want some suggestions as to a good fly line within that price range. I know they're out there!:smile:

BigCliff

Reaction score
The accepted standard for a great fly line is the Scientific Angler Mastery series. If powerful delivery is more important to you than delicacy, you could pick up their "Headstart" line in the size you need and have $ left for a CD, roughly. (gotta wonder if yer laughin at the old fart who actually still buys Cd's)

If you're after something a little more fringe, new, weirdish, and innovative, you might like Airflo's new "Ridge" line. I can't speak from direct experience about it, but I plan on replacing my 4wt line with it pretty soon, and I fish that thing more than anything else, by far.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Fishplease,

You will be much better off buying a high quality line. I second the Scientific Angler Mastery series lines. The cost is $60 and is a little over you budget.

Joni

Reaction score
I do hear good things about the SA line. I have owned Orvis for so long and I really like it (rumor is, SA makes Orvis dry line to their specks)
But I have also been hearing wonderful things about Airflo.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I do hear good things about the SA line. I have owned Orvis for so long and I really like it (rumor is, SA makes Orvis dry line to their specks)
But I have also been hearing wonderful things about Airflo.
Hi Joni,

Orvis has been pretty good at keeping who makes their fly lines a secret. I have also heard good things about the new Rio lines with the Agent X coating on the front of their floating lines. I see that SA has added a loop to the end of their lines to keep up with the competition. I think that is a good move. All of this fly line technology is good for the fisher.

Curtis

Reaction score
While the SA lines are great casters, they sink in the tip something fierce.

The old peach colored Cortland 444 line is still one of the best lines on the market. If you want a great all around line that won't tip sink, get the Cortland 555 dyna-tip.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
While the SA lines are great casters, they sink in the tip something fierce. quote]

Hi Curtis,

SA has had a problem with tip sink and it was necessary to keep the tip clean and treated with line dressing. They have address that problem with their new "Dry Tip Technology". Not sure what that is but they seem to be aware of the problem. It is available on their GPX and Nymph line today. They will probably follow suit with all of their floating lines. I think the new REO Agent X process got their attention. To be fair, I have had the same tip sink problem with Cortland lines.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Frank, I think a big part of the "dry tip" deal is that welded loop they are now adding to the lines. This would prevent the core from absorbing water and sinking the tip. I think this has been the main cause of the tips of their lines sinking, as it defintely gets worse the longer you are fishing the line.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Frank, I think a big part of the "dry tip" deal is that welded loop they are now adding to the lines. This would prevent the core from absorbing water and sinking the tip. I think this has been the main cause of the tips of their lines sinking, as it defintely gets worse the longer you are fishing the line.
Hi Cliff,

I think you are right. I have for some time stuck a needle in the end of the line and then added a drop of super glue to seal the end. What ever the reason the lines are getting better and better. Thats good for everyone. As a matter of fact all of the fly fishing gear has improved a lot. We have never had so many good rods and reels to pick from.

Curtis

Reaction score
While the SA lines are great casters, they sink in the tip something fierce. quote]

Hi Curtis,

SA has had a problem with tip sink and it was necessary to keep the tip clean and treated with line dressing. They have address that problem with their new "Dry Tip Technology". Not sure what that is but they seem to be aware of the problem. It is available on their GPX and Nymph line today. They will probably follow suit with all of their floating lines. I think the new REO Agent X process got their attention. To be fair, I have had the same tip sink problem with Cortland lines.
I have too with the Cortland, except the 555 dyna-tip. That thing won't sink for anything.....

I am glad that SA is addressing this as they make a fine line, other then this problem. I always would seal the end with some zap-a-gap to help keep it floating. Seemed to help a little. That water wicking is a bummer.

Outdoorarki

Reaction score
I just bought the SA GPX this weekend for my 5 wt . I had the cortland silk and hated it. It seamed like it would stick to the guides. I had the GPX on my 3 WT and liked it so I got it for my 5 WT. I'll stick with the SA. Just my 2 cents.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I just bought the SA GPX this weekend for my 5 wt . I had the cortland silk and hated it. It seamed like it would stick to the guides. I had the GPX on my 3 WT and liked it so I got it for my 5 WT. I'll stick with the SA. Just my 2 cents.
Did you get the new GPX with the Dry Tip technology and the welded loop. If you did how about a report on how well and long the tip floats.

Joni

Reaction score

I hear this a lot from people that live in HI HUMIDITY places about the Sylk.
I have it in a 2, 4, and 5wt and love it. The thinner diameter really shoots well.
Sorry it didn't work for you.
As far as the welded loops, I use hand tied leaders with a Perfection Loop in the end and do the loop to loop, but I am experiencing a little cracking from the mono. I use this line about 4 days a week so it gets used. Anybody else?

Outdoorarki

Reaction score
Yes it has the new dry tip with the welded loop. I used it for about a half day before I had to leave and I was well pleased with it.