The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:59 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road
Default New fly line?

Hey there people, my fly line is getting old and never was that good in the first place. I have 50$ to spend, and want some suggestions as to a good fly line within that price range. I know they're out there!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New fly line?

Cortland 333 or 444.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The accepted standard for a great fly line is the Scientific Angler Mastery series. If powerful delivery is more important to you than delicacy, you could pick up their "Headstart" line in the size you need and have $ left for a CD, roughly. (gotta wonder if yer laughin at the old fart who actually still buys Cd's)

If you're after something a little more fringe, new, weirdish, and innovative, you might like Airflo's new "Ridge" line. I can't speak from direct experience about it, but I plan on replacing my 4wt line with it pretty soon, and I fish that thing more than anything else, by far.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fishplease,

You will be much better off buying a high quality line. I second the Scientific Angler Mastery series lines. The cost is $60 and is a little over you budget.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I do hear good things about the SA line. I have owned Orvis for so long and I really like it (rumor is, SA makes Orvis dry line to their specks)
But I have also been hearing wonderful things about Airflo.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I do hear good things about the SA line. I have owned Orvis for so long and I really like it (rumor is, SA makes Orvis dry line to their specks)
But I have also been hearing wonderful things about Airflo.
Hi Joni,

Orvis has been pretty good at keeping who makes their fly lines a secret. I have also heard good things about the new Rio lines with the Agent X coating on the front of their floating lines. I see that SA has added a loop to the end of their lines to keep up with the competition. I think that is a good move. All of this fly line technology is good for the fisher.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

While the SA lines are great casters, they sink in the tip something fierce.

The old peach colored Cortland 444 line is still one of the best lines on the market. If you want a great all around line that won't tip sink, get the Cortland 555 dyna-tip.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Administrator

[quote=Curtis;11607]While the SA lines are great casters, they sink in the tip something fierce. quote]

Hi Curtis,

SA has had a problem with tip sink and it was necessary to keep the tip clean and treated with line dressing. They have address that problem with their new "Dry Tip Technology". Not sure what that is but they seem to be aware of the problem. It is available on their GPX and Nymph line today. They will probably follow suit with all of their floating lines. I think the new REO Agent X process got their attention. To be fair, I have had the same tip sink problem with Cortland lines.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Frank, I think a big part of the "dry tip" deal is that welded loop they are now adding to the lines. This would prevent the core from absorbing water and sinking the tip. I think this has been the main cause of the tips of their lines sinking, as it defintely gets worse the longer you are fishing the line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Frank, I think a big part of the "dry tip" deal is that welded loop they are now adding to the lines. This would prevent the core from absorbing water and sinking the tip. I think this has been the main cause of the tips of their lines sinking, as it defintely gets worse the longer you are fishing the line.
Hi Cliff,

I think you are right. I have for some time stuck a needle in the end of the line and then added a drop of super glue to seal the end. What ever the reason the lines are getting better and better. Thats good for everyone. As a matter of fact all of the fly fishing gear has improved a lot. We have never had so many good rods and reels to pick from.