The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough
Default Simms Freestone boots

i was curious if anyone is familiar with Simms' boot sizing. i'm looking to get a pair of the Freestone boots, but do not have the luxury of trying them on first, so my purchase will be online. i was wondering if i need to order the actual size shoe i wear (i.e. the boot is already made bigger to accommodate stockingfoot waders) or if i need to order a size bigger?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:22 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simms Freestone boots

I don't have experience with this particular boot from Simms, but I do own the Riversheds. I go one size up, but primarily so I've got room at the toes for winter fishing. I would go this route and then try them on with the same socks, layers and waders. If they work great, if not, send them back for another size. Maybe one of the guys who work in a shop will see your post and reply with some insight on this particular boot. BTW, the Hardbite cleats while expensive, will give you incredible traction. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:57 PM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough

thanks, jaybo41. according to most of Cabela's and BPS reviews for that boot, i should order a size bigger. i'm a little apprehensive yet since one of the reviews stated that over-sizing is not required. i'll wait for some more input here before i pull the trigger; i have a few days before my coupon expires.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:13 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I have mid width, mid arch feet (basically the most 'normal' type) & I wear size 11 street shoes. I went with size 12 Simms Headwater Boots a month ago and they fit like a charm.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
I have mid width, mid arch feet (basically the most 'normal' type) & I wear size 11 street shoes. I went with size 12 Simms Headwater Boots a month ago and they fit like a charm.
out of curiosity, do you wear any type of socks in your stockingfoot waders to facilitate the fit of your Simms boots?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:33 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Hollywood, my street shoe is a 9, and I field a 10 or 11 (Winter) in the Freestone.
One pair of woolies in summer, two pairs in Winter. A thin poly-liner is nice.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:24 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I had a pair of Freestones, while I do not recall the exact size I do remember that the reason I replaced them was that - after years of use - they just didn't fit anymore, I felt like they shrunk.

I bought a new pair of Simms about 3-4 years ago, don't recall the style - they were replaced by a G-Something I believe - and I had to go a size up on those.

Wading boots never fit like hiking boots, you have big neoprene booties in there and socks under those...I think you are always better to go up a size when in doubt.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyw00d View Post
out of curiosity, do you wear any type of socks in your stockingfoot waders to facilitate the fit of your Simms boots?
Yep, Winter - liner socks + thick woolen socks. Summer - light hiking socks.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 PM

thanks all. i'll go with a size up to start and see how it goes.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

That's all I use ... because they have the widest 'last' I've run across. That said!!!!! Even for summer run (warmer weather) go at least one size up from your normal shoe size.

Winter work, two sets of socks, GO TWO!!!!!

I have zero idea how/what they have in mine with boot manufacturers 'sizing's;' but it's total BS in the real world ... unless your 'Bear foot.' (Pun intended.)

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Yep, Winter - liner socks + thick woolen socks. Summer - light hiking socks.
+1

fae