The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 01:34 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road
Default anyone try llbean wading boots?

Hey all. so i'm planning on getting the stockingfoot llbean emerger II waders, and with that i'll need a pair of wading boots. i was thinking of getting the emerger wading boots for $69 and i'm wondering if anyone has tried them before. they also have a more expensive "west branch aqua stealth wading boots" at $99 with positive reviews on the site. any tips would be appreciated. I'll probably be making my order tomorrow or the next day, as thats when the free shipping ends.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: anyone try llbean wading boots?

I tried a pair of the GQS series a year ago. These were a 295 dollar wader I think and they had no neoprene bootie! They were uncomfortable for the feet, hard to remove and I got several leaks in the first days use, all in the right foot.

I had used a pair of their 'Wicked Tough Waders' for 8 years but they of course were discontinued. They were the best / toughest light weight wader I had ever owned. I now am using a pair of Simms G# and have no issues with them.

If the wader has a neoprene bootie you might be satisfied but you better ask before you order because they don't refund the shipping fee. They do however refund the full purchase price if you are not happy with the product.

The boots are probably fine but the waders left much to be desired.
Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-30-2010, 10:44 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I absolutely love my LL Bean aquastealth w/studs. I won't hesitate to buy another pair someday. In fact they will be my first choice. My other pair is from a popular sporting goods store. They are good but give me the LL's anyday.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:53 AM

thanks for the reply guys. i'll go ahead and order the llbean emerger stockingfoot waders and aquastealth boots.
One question though. llbean seems to be out of the medium sized emerger waders, but have small and large in stock. i measure at the upper limits (i measure 38 chest with no thick clothing, 31 inseam and size 9 shoes, whereas the smalls are 39 chest, 28-31 inseam and 7-9 shoe size) so i'm afraid that it might be too tight of a fit when in cold-weather clothing. would you guys recommending going up to the large size? (47 chest, 30-32 inseam and shoesize 10-12). i would assume too big would be better than too small, though having it too big could probably cause problems.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 AM

turner66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjchar View Post
thanks for the reply guys. i'll go ahead and order the llbean emerger stockingfoot waders and aquastealth boots.
One question though. llbean seems to be out of the medium sized emerger waders, but have small and large in stock. i measure at the upper limits (i measure 38 chest with no thick clothing, 31 inseam and size 9 shoes, whereas the smalls are 39 chest, 28-31 inseam and 7-9 shoe size) so i'm afraid that it might be too tight of a fit when in cold-weather clothing. would you guys recommending going up to the large size? (47 chest, 30-32 inseam and shoesize 10-12). i would assume too big would be better than too small, though having it too big could probably cause problems.
Personally, I would not compromise like that on the sizing without being able to try them on first. Too tight is bad (will stress the wader when kneeling, bending, etc), and too loose can be also bad (bunching up, rubbing, catching on branches, etc.), both situations can lead to uncomfortable fishing experience... I would rather wait for the right size to become available, or switch to another supplier/brand which is available in correct size.
cheers
Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Ya i decided to order the medium and just wait for them, though since they are imported, i'm being hit with a 25% tax and duties fee, which is a kiiiiller. still pretty well priced i guess, though it'll be a while before i get them.