The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 11:16 PM

mikeman715 is on a distinguished road
Default Which pack?

Hey guys, Ive only been fly fishing for about a year now, but I quickly realized that I need something to carry all my stuff. being a diabetic, I have to bring a few additional items...
Anyway, I think I have decided on a hip pack. My brother wants to get me one for xmas, and think i have it narrowed down to two...

Patagonia Stealth Hip Pack

or..

Fly Fishing Waist Pack / Gale Force Waist Pack -- Orvis

Any additional advice or options would be appreciated.

Lastly, is a pack the best route, say over a sling chest pack like this..

Sorry for the lengthy post.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:40 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Which pack?

I just picked up an Orvis Sling Pack, I love it. It carries everything I need, keeps everything accessible, and keeps everything out of the way until I need it. I looked at the Gale Force, and then realized that everything I bring with me can get wet in the event of a big storm or me taking a swim, since I keep the sensitive items in a waterproof case. Good luck in the selection process!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-05-2011, 08:45 AM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

The thing that sticks out to me about the Pantagonia hip pack is that there are no places to hook your nippers, or hemostat too on the outside of your pack. A few D-Rings would have been a welcome addition on those packs. I don't own any packs made by Pantagonia, but do own a few pieces of clothes, and they're fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from Pantagonia if that is in fact the pack you want.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
The thing that sticks out to me about the Pantagonia hip pack is that there are no places to hook your nippers, or hemostat too on the outside of your pack. A few D-Rings would have been a welcome addition on those packs..
I think if you're going to wear a hip pack it's almost necessary to use a lanyard as well.

I use a different vests and bags for different purposes, but my smallmouth set up is a homemade lanyard for my nippers, hemostats, etc and everything else in an army surplus bag that has both a shoulder strap and a belt loop.

I paid 50 cents for mine... the reproductions are still reasonable.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you want one with room and beaucoup spots to hang stuff, this is a fine choice.

William Joseph Old School Fanny Pack at BEARSDEN.COM

I'm fairly sure its an exact knockoff of the Mountainsmith "Tour" pack (I've got one), that has been around for years and is loved by many.

One that isn't fishing specific but might work well for you is Patagonia's Atom-

Patagonia Atom Sling Pack

It also happens to be about half the price of most fishing packs at $40.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:31 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I think if you're going to wear a hip pack it's almost necessary to use a lanyard as well.

Good call. I always forget about that.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Good suggestions thus far. There are a few that caught my eye on closeout by Simms and Fishpond.

Before you decide which brand or whatnot, think about where and the type of conditions that you fish and what's going to be most comfortable to you. I went from vest to backpack type pack and ditched that concept. A sling may give you the most room for rain jacket storage.

I was on a trip and the temps were entirely too hot to carry a pack on my back, so I went to the hip pack. Other things to think about, you can easily access a sling without removing it. Hip pack you can slide around as well but sometimes bunches up waders. I often take mine off and then put it back on.

One nice thing about the Orvis pack you're looking at is that if you're fishing and it rains, it won't get much heavier than it already is since it repels water.

Sometimes takes a while to figure out the right pack, then again I am a gear addict

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I guess I have lots to consider...
I already have a lanyard, so the pack/ lanyard route may not be a bad idea.
As for that Patagonia Atom sling- I just saw that they are making a fishing version of it!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:31 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

This is a bottomless can-O-worms...asking random fly-fishers which anything is the best! I love it.

So, I'll throw my 2cents out as a hip pack user -- I've had a Fishpond Waterdance Guide something or other for a few years and have never fallen in love with it. I've learned to use it just fine but there are limits. Mainly: you cannot carry any extra clothing or store a layer that you had on in the morning, also, it is very limiting to how much food and water you can take - this might be important for you, being diabetic. The pack will hold a lot of stuff, but with two water bottles, two fly boxes, food, all the other junk...it gets heavy...I use the shoulder strap in conjunction with the belt so I don't have to synch the belt so tight to keep it up. Also, tricky to comfortable carry a net.

I would (and am) recommend considering more of a pack combo like those from Fishpond if you have to carry more stuff. I really want to be able to leave my rig in the morning and go fish for 4-5 hours, but you can't with these "hip packs". I want room for food, water, and layers...basically either and old school vest loaded to the gills or a day pack. The problem with the hip pack is that you cannot wear it with a daypack on, unless you turn it to the front and that is just to much clutter for me to deal with around my waist and in front - you can't hike like that or fish without constant line tangles.

I have all but decided on either a Fishpond Double Haul (small day pack + chest pack) or just one of the new chest packs that I can wear in conjunction with a Camelback I already own.

And I've seen on a couple websites, Fishpond's new line of packs to be released this spring...probably Feb - Mar. There is a newly designed waist pack, if that is really what you want, it might be worth waiting...

O and I almost forgot, Welcome to the Forum, mikeman!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:11 PM

Thanks again for all the info and input!
I haven't yet been on a long fishing trip, where I won't be near my car; So it kind of makes me think about getting a small day pack...Like the Simms Dry Creek day pack...do you guys think it would be overkill?

And thanks for the welcome! Im hoping to really gain some knowledge here before next season!