The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 05:21 AM

pierce652 is on a distinguished road
Default Any experience with William Joseph Stripping Basket?

Looking into a stripping basket but dont really want to make one myself. I saw the WJ basket, the collapsable one that looks like a lumbar belt and was wondering if anyone tried one out. They are cheap enough but dont know how well they work as they dont have any seperators for the line as it is just a mesh bag. Any thoughts?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:36 PM

shocktrooper32 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any experience with William Joseph Stripping Basket?

Have you used a stripping basket before?

If not, I will say this, they take time to get used to. What seemed like a good idea at the time turned out to be a dust collection device in my shed, wich hangs next to my old rubber hip waders. Ive seen guys use them effortlesly and Ive seen guys loose fish because of them. Try someone elses first if you can. For myself I concentrate on each cast like some guys do with a golf swing, The basket just added something else for me to add to the process. But then again, Im a bit slow to change.

Joe C
Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 PM

bobmc is on a distinguished road

Yes. I bought one and do not like it. When the tide rises up to the bottom of the bag, the net collapses like any unsupported net, making it useless.
Get a hard plastic stripping basket (Orvis makes a good one) for 50 bucks. Even full of water, the basket still holds your line, ready for the next cast.
Bob
Old 06-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I too have one and LOVE it. I have not experiences any down sides to them. They collapse flat into a belt, so out of the way if you are crouching or going through a lot of brush (which a hard plastic one does not do)
On the rivers it keeps my line out of the water and easy to recast, plus I use it on my H3. Just slide it to the side either standing or sitting and it is great.
Now I understand if you are chest deep there could be a problem, but that plastic would be floating up in you arm pit wouldn't it?

There is the chance your line could get a little tangled up, but I wrap mine around a rag covered reciever when I get to my destination and stretch out my line a head of time. Have not had any problem with tangles......yet.
Going on 3rd year on mine.