The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 01:18 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default the ridiculous that's not so ridiculous

my wife bought me this as a gift recently-
Click the image to open in full size.
at first i wasn't sure if it was a gimmick or something that was actually useful.
but after a few weeks "testing" i will have to say that it absolutely with out a doubt, a quality, useful piece og gear.

casey

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

it's a ty-rite fly holder that absolutely helps tying on flies

ARFE
Old 12-10-2011, 08:08 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the ridiculous that's not so ridiculous

Explain the benefits you are seeing in the field please.

I bought a similar gizmo a few weeks ago (has a hook on the end) for fly tying but never thought to use it stream side.

Dave
Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

i'll bite, what it is and what does it do?

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:26 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

you usu it to hold your fly while tying it on.
Ty-Rite Fish Hook Holder
it really does work

ARFE
Old 12-10-2011, 10:41 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I may be in for one of these... I could use it while photographing my awful ties as well

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

For tying you can get a handfull of these and glue a nickle to the bottom for a base with weight. Radio Shack has them but the pic is from Grangers.
Click the image to open in full size.

I might have to try one of those thingys Casey. Right now I use my hemo's for clinch knots but that thing looks slick.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:04 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
you usu it to hold your fly while tying it on.
Ty-Rite Fish Hook Holder
it really does work
I can't go fishing without one anymore. It's awesome! It holds the fly steady so I can thread tippet, and makes it easier to tie the knot. My fat fingers aren't nearly in the way now.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I use the "midge" size (orange barrel) for small stuff.

It also helps for Soft Hackle type flies that don't have a tail to hang onto.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:30 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

So it clamps to the hook and holds it while you thread the eye, I get that. But then what when you tie your knot? I use the fingers of both hands while tying a clinch or trilene or whatever knot that requires twists and tags back through loops (which is every knot!) so it just seem to me that this would get in the way. I pinch the fly in my thumb and forefinger and this allows the last three fingers on that hand to hold twists in place, or tag ends or whatever. I also feel like you have more control the closer you hold something to the end, I mean a little hand shake even two inches from the eye of the hook turns the shake at that eye into a lot more. I am skeptical...but if it works for you, that's all that matters.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Casey...not so ridiculous
First thought it was a pen....to fill in a cheque when you get a fine
Guest1 likes this.