The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Small Inflatable Kayaks.

I have been kayaking for years, but with a 14 ft distance kayak, I am looking at getting a small 9ft or so inflatable kayak. I was wondering if anyone out there is using anything like that. Thanks
Mike

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:46 PM ----------

I has also been check out the outlaw escape float -pontoon rig, but its pricy.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small Inflatable Kayaks.

My son has a Sevylor Figi inflatable kayak. I've only used to once, but the first thing I noticed was that any wind was a big issue.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:31 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

yeah, the light short boats dont like wind, Im looking mostly to use on the creek to get to my fishing holes faster,, and maybe on a still pond. I might just get a cheap tube to use to float past the deep sections. I also found the outlaw escape float tube pontoon, looks awsome but dang pricey.
mike
Old 12-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
yeah, the light short boats dont like wind, Im looking mostly to use on the creek to get to my fishing holes faster,, and maybe on a still pond. I might just get a cheap tube to use to float past the deep sections. I also found the outlaw escape float tube pontoon, looks awsome but dang pricey.
mike
I had the Escape, I would save up and buy the Assault. Awesome!
Old 12-25-2011, 02:21 AM

krusty is on a distinguished road

You might consider a short sit on top kayak instead. There are plenty to choose from, they're durable, and quite affordable these days.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:00 AM

been looking at those too.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:22 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
You might consider a short sit on top kayak instead. There are plenty to choose from, they're durable, and quite affordable these days.
I've got both a SOT and a SIS, and I find the SIS to be a better fishing platform, for a few reasons:

1) The SIS has a much lower center of gravity, lowering the possibility of a wave, boat wake, quick move, or my own clumseyness of overturning me.

2) I was able to mount a rod holder on the righside cowl of the SIS. This secures the rod when paddling, making a hardware change, grabbing a sip of coffee in the morning (or fishing lube a little later - it's always 5:00 somewhere!), or I can even paddle and trail a small lure - in fly fishing a streamer or a crawfish works.

3) The SIS has ample room fore and aft to stow a dry-bag with lunch, a change of clothes, a small cooler of fishing lube, or even a pair of waders should I want to paddle to a destination, then get out and wade-fish.

4) The SIS sits a little lower in the water, and is much less suscepible to being pushed around by the wind.

I have an Old Town Loon 138, which is a large open cockpit, and is generally known as a "big man's" kayak, as it's a bit heavy, less sleak, and slower than some of the more modern styled yuppie-ships, but it sure makes a good fishing platform!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I was given one of these WEST MARINE Scamper I Inflatable Sit Inside Kayak at West Marine , after my dad found it on mega blowout clearance.

I've only blown it up and sat in it in the living room, but my advice is: pass.

Even without my weight pulling down in the center, the inflated tubes hug my butt super tightly, and it also looks like it will track about as straight as a junebug flies.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:52 PM

neat lil boat, if I was needing a laser tracking kayak I would use my touring boat, but the creeks and small ponds that have poor casting banks were Im looking to use a small kayak tracking wont be top of the list. a friend of mine picked up a vapor 10 from basspro 2 years ago, its a super stable rig, but still a hull I would have to store.
Liberty Mountain - Everything for the Outdoors

this boat I have get from work for just over 200, I have eyed it a few times. just still leary of flinging hooks around an inflatable..
Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 PM

sinc will become famous soon enough

As an active kayaker, I would advise you not to buy an inflatable. I bought an inflatable for running Class II -- Class IV rapids, but I wouldn't use it for anything else, particularly fly fishing. I think you would like a 9.5' hard shell. They usually have a 350 lb capacity and are very stable.