The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: educate me on personal pontoons please

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
I was thinking for still ponds, but seated will be the way to go.
mike
Because the frameless boats are so light, they're very easy to manuever and very quiet. Good flippers will let you sneak up closer to fish and you don't need to stand and cast, although it's possible to with the larger models.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:21 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

so i took the plunge and ordered the Skykomish Sunrise Pontoon Boat. it is a Dave Scadden-North Fork Outdoors vestle. it appears as though it fills all of my needs and it has a Class V River Rating. Now for the LONG wait for it to get to me, it will be here no later than the 9th but every day seems like an eternity. Iv been reading on the other posts about pontoons and being able to use flippers to get around, do you use flippers over your wading boots or just over the neopreen stocking foot?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:43 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I wear my flippers over my wading boots..... it's nice to be able to get out and walk around, especially when nature calls.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:49 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by araitim View Post
so i took the plunge and ordered the Skykomish Sunrise Pontoon Boat. it is a Dave Scadden-North Fork Outdoors vestle. it appears as though it fills all of my needs and it has a Class V River Rating. Now for the LONG wait for it to get to me, it will be here no later than the 9th but every day seems like an eternity. Iv been reading on the other posts about pontoons and being able to use flippers to get around, do you use flippers over your wading boots or just over the neopreen stocking foot?
You can go a couple different ways. Wading boots or booties
Glacier Glove Float Tube Booties
Old 12-30-2011, 12:41 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

what pumps are you guys using to inflate your float tubes and pontoons? i see Joni and Mojo use a LVM pump to inflate the boat and top off the toon's with a K-Pump to 3 psi. im looking to inflate from 3 to 5 psi, will all the k-pumps do 5psi?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Alright, this is a dumb question... but these things are inflatable. Going down a river like the Pere Marquette, there can be quite a bit of bumping and bangin, especially if the water is low. Do they "pop" and lose air?

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:28 PM

from what i understand, that is exactly what they were designed for but i havnt used one yet.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Alright, this is a dumb question... but these things are inflatable. Going down a river like the Pere Marquette, there can be quite a bit of bumping and bangin, especially if the water is low. Do they "pop" and lose air?

Cheers,
Mike.

The higher priced pontoons are made out of the same material as rafts, do they pop?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
The higher priced pontoons are made out of the same material as rafts, do they pop?
I told ya it was a dumb question!!

I'll take that as a nay

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say nay, anything can happen and I am sure some cases Rafts pop, I know I have seen canoes fold in half....just saying they are the same as rafts.