The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 08:33 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice
Default educate me on personal pontoons please

after a trip down the Manistee river in a driftboat and a fantastic Christmas i find myself in the market for my first personal pontoon but know nothing about them. i am a rather large man (260lbs) and the toon will be used for rivers like the Manistee, Au Sable, PM and Muskegon. id like it to have a platform i could stand on for casting. does anyone have experience with a vestle simmilar to what i am looking for? if so, what brand, size and features should i be looking for? any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: educate me on personal pontoons please

I'm just jumping in to get the updates on this. I am thinking about getting one too. I don't weigh as much as araitim, But I also want to stand and cast. I was thinking about an electric trolling motor on the back end. Edumacate me too.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:56 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

davescadden2010catalog

Im looking for this stuff at the moment also, i was surfing the webs and found these. Cabalas has the smaller ones, not sure on the one I linked. would be an awsome rig for sure.
Mike

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

check the christmans sale page, you might get lucky.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:13 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

im looking at the Skykomish Sunrise Pontoon Cabela's: Skykomish Sunrise Pontoon Boat
Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Joni and I have had Scadden kickboats for years. If it ain't broke right?
Right now both of us have Outlaw X5's and Joni has the frameless Renegade and I have the Outlaw Assault XX also frameless.
The Sky has a frame and standing platform. But it has a urethane bladder. (The rest are bladderless.) You'd be hard pressed to find a boat with the same features for the price. And it's built in the U.S. While most other brands come over from Asia.
The frame is aircraft aluminum, while a lot of others are thin steel.
Myself, since I've owned a lot of kickboats over the years, would get a frameless if you can afford it. They're lightweight (bladderless) and row very easily. Also they fold up very small compared to a framed model.
Google up Northfork Outdoors. They have a sale on now. And check out the videos. The link from NFO takes you to Dave's You Tube videos.
X5
Click the image to open in full size.

One for Dan who wants a motor

Renegade

AssaultXX
Old 12-26-2011, 09:52 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

too cool. I was watching alot of the videos too, these things look rugged as they come, the next size bigger then the escape would be nice for sure, just for multiday gear packing.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for the NFO boats. I own the Rampage and absolutely love it, very maneuverable, rows like a dream. I usually carry it inflated in the back of the pickup, but I've also deflated it and it folds up nicely to fit into the trunk of a Camry and at underr 40 lbs is easy enough to lift in and out of the vehicle. Inflation is a snap with the optional 12 volt electric air pump.

Larry
Old 12-26-2011, 10:26 PM

question the guys that own these, can a deck be put in the nose section behind the seat, to stand on. I was thinking like a plywood deck, just curious. thanks
mike
Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
question the guys that own these, can a deck be put in the nose section behind the seat, to stand on. I was thinking like a plywood deck, just curious. thanks
mike
It would be your boat, you could do anything you wanted. If you put the seat back down all the way you could get more room. And you have to have good balance especially if you are going down a river. Myself, I wouldn't do it on moving water.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 AM

I was thinking for still ponds, but seated will be the way to go.
mike