The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 02:57 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default I need lightweight waders for backcountry

Hello all,

I need a good lightweight and packable wader for the backcountry. I do have two pair but they are super cheap and old and HEAVY. One is an insulated (thick) pair, the other a lighterweight thinner pair. They are actually pretty good for fishing out of the car or on short dayhikes, but they're both too bulky and heavy for the backcountry.

I NEED a lightweight setup for the backcountry. I take 6-7 extended backpacking trips each summer to fish high-lakes in the Rockies in addition to tons of long day hikes to fish high areas, but don't pack waders. I do want to start taking a good wader and boot combo. I can't fish out of my hiking boots - that's a recipe for disaster at elevation. So I'll need a wading boot or possibly a shoe.

But lightweight and packability (bulk) are of the highest concern. And I will have to be able to hike around the water all day in them. I've looked around the internet but it's hard to find the weight specs on waders and boots/shoes. The shoe option seems better than toting an extra pair of boots. Is there a certain style of waders that goes better with shoes?

Or what about just hip boots? Are there any waders or hip boots made more specifically for packing light?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need lightweight waders for backcountry

I have some old Cabela's "feather-light" stockingfoot hip boots. They're all nylon. No breathable material (which you don't need in a hip boot anyway ) and they don't have neoprene feet. They roll up to about the size of a sandwich.
I'm sure that they don't make them any more... they're too practical... and cheap
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road

L.L. Bean Emerger waders...best lightweight waders I ever wore...they were just under $100...and with that famous L.L. Bean Warranty...it was tough to beat them!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Waist high waders. love 'em. have 2 pair of Cabelas. no complaints.
Gary
Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what your budget is?

The Orvis Sonic Seams are very light and pack small, in their own bag. They make a chest high and waist high version. As for boots, most of the major brands have a "lightweight" model. Orvis, Simms, LL Bean, and Cabelas all have lightweight models. One thing to consider about lightweight boots is that you will not have the support that a more substantial boot will provide. My choice is the Simms Riversheds. Durable, supportive and they don't hold much water weight.

You should have some fly shops within your general area, why not go there and ask for suggestions?