The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Orvis Green Mountain Tippet

Has anyone heard of it? I found some on sale for twelve spools at like eight bucks.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:41 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2
Default Re: Orvis Green Mountain Tippet

I've fished for 6-7 years now. The only Orvis tippet I know are the Super Strong (SS), Mirage, and the new Abrasion Resistant (AR).

This stuff is at least a few years old, and that isn't good for a nylon momofilament. Just for the peace of mind I like having newer matierial on my line. I'd pass if it were me.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I use that exact tippet. I believe I know the site in which you saw it because I bought it from the same place.

I've never had any problems with it.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I could be wrong but..........if the material has been stored in a cool place and protected from UV radiation it should be good for quite a while. I've never heard of Green Mtn. tippet and that line of rods and such were retired by Orvis a while back (years) and replaced I think by the ClearWater line. If Axle is using it without a hitch then trying a couple spools may not be a bad thing.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I could be wrong but..........if the material has been stored in a cool place and protected from UV radiation it should be good for quite a while.
Nope, not wrong.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:32 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

IF...you get a powdery like film on your fingers, the tippet isn't good to use. As with any monofilament line. As far as the brand, that's personal preference. Me? I like ultragreen maxima.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The Green Mountain was their lower end stuff and they sold it at the time when they had a Green Mountain version (basic) of most everything
Green Mountain waders, Green mountain vest, Green Mountain rods ..etc.
I don't know how it compairs, but I have some of the SuperStrong material that's 20 years old and still good