The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Looking to buy new wading boots...

So I'm in the market for a pair of wading boots to match a pair of packable breathables I just picked up.

My criteria are as follows:
They need to be lightweight as they will be following me to Europe.

And that's about it! I have, however, been eyeballing the Simms Rivertek boots with the Boa lacing system. From what I've seen, these boots are pretty neat. Does anyone have any particular complaints with them?

Are there other choices I should be looking out for? Is there anything coming down the pipeline that's worth waiting for? I have my neoprene boot-foot waders which work just fine for the winter, so I don't need the boots just yet.

Thanks!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 AM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking to buy new wading boots...

Not sure how the weight on the Riverteks to the Korker Chromes, but I'd give a nod to the Chromes for sure. I do a lot of bushwacking on our local small streams, and will put on many miles in a day and these boots absolutely rock. I also like the easily changed soles so that if I do infact want something other than rubber, I can have that option.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi AJ,

I just went through the selection process myself. I made a post and got about 45 detailed reviews on about every boot out there. The reviews and comments people made may help you too. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ding-boot.html

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
they will be following me to Europe.
I'm not sure where I saw it, but there may be some serious restrictions on taking wading boots into Europe. I may be wrong here, , but I'd check and see first so they don't end up in a box with a bunch of fingernail clippers at the airport. It may be better to pick up a pair there, but you may have the same problem on the return trip. I wish I could remember where I saw that at.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Somehow I totally missed the responses on this thread. Ted, I'll check out the Chromes. Ard, I'll definitely read over that thread, it was hiding when I ran a search before posting this one. And Dan, I could imagine there being possible problems at the borders given the possibility of bringing in invasives. I'll have to search for some answers there. Losing them , especially on the way over, would throw a wrench in the works.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-24-2012, 05:49 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

Another point worth considering is - purchasing the boots at your first European fishing destination. That way you don't have to carry them in your luggage & if you pick the vibram soled boots you can mitigate at least some of the concerns around invasives. Obviously if you are fishing in multiple countries on the continent you might still have some issues & may need to check the regs.

I went with the Simms Headwaters and have been extremely pleased with them. I posted comments in the thread Ard referenced.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 PM

markg52 will become famous soon enough

I've had the Simms Rivertec Boa's for a couple of months now and absolutely love them. Very comfortable, boa lacing system is a snap to tighten or loosen, and, easiest pair of boots to put on and take off that I've ever had.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Thanks Mark, those are actually the boots I picked up! I love them, and the difference in grip between my old rubber bootfoot and the studded Simms is like night and day.