The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 09:09 AM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road
Default vest or chest packs for fly fishing

I was wondering what other fishers use, i have both vest an a pack. I lean towards the vest for carrying everything, probably way to much stuff.I have a bag too, What do you prefer to use, and why.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: vest or chest packs for fly fishing

I can not speak from experience as a fly fisherman, as I'm just learning, but as someone who has fished streams with spinning gear for years, I've always had two systems. The first was a vest, loaded with spinners, small surface, sub-surface, and sinking plugs, jigs, and all kinds of other hardware & tools. I used the vest when I knew that I was going to be well away from the vehicle and/or going to be out a long time, as it allowed me to go "heavy".

I also had the capability to go "light", with a lanyard that had clippers, surgical clamp, and a small box that contained about a dozen +/- selected lures. (I always managed to jam a few extras in there.) I'd sometimes jam an extra spool of different test line into a pocket, as well.

I've set myself up for fly-fishing much the same. A vest, with lots of pockets and storage for going "heavy", and an Orvis lanyard system that has tippet storage, a small flybox, clippers, clamp, and just a few other tools for going "light".

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

I know I'm leaving myself open for a lot of comments, but I use my daughter's old purses or pocket books...not sure. They are Mud shoulder bag in grey canvas that is perfect size for fly gear with seperate pockets and sections. Also a black Old Navy shoulder bag. These are about $10 on sale and work great. One for SM and one for Trout fishing. I tried the vest for a while and didn't like it in the summer, did the waist pack...nope. The shoulder bag is perfect for me. Of couse the wife says I should get boots that match my purse.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

schiff, you're a brave fellow, my hats off to you!

I own & have used many different means of carrying my gear. I have a couple of vests, fanny packs, & a couple of chest packs. None are perfect all the time.

I also have a shoulder bag, an Army surplus olive drab, canvas gas mask bag that I've used extensively. I can fit a couple of Plano boxes in it, and whatever else I may need. It's about the best I've tried, but still doesn't fit all fishing situations or conditions.

Depending on the weather & where I'll be fishing, I'll often combine things, such as the shoulder bag & a fanny pack, or some other combination. This seems to be the best approach for me. Plus, I tend to wear clothing that helps with carrying what I need, such as cargo pants & shirts with loads of pockets.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:32 AM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

( Rivers, Streams, Lakes, Ocean, etc. )
I've got packs set up for S.W., Steelies and Trout.

It gets warm here most everyday from April to October, like 80 to over 100 degrees warm and I don't carry things that don't get used often. So I haven't worn a vest in over two decades, most everyone I fish with wears a fanny / hip pack or some version of one. The guys that still wear a vest, don't get a ride home on really hot days.

Kidding aside, I'm fairly tall so having a pack slung just above my hips isn't a problem at the depths I often find myself fishing from. If I have to go deep, I just hike the pack up or wear it for a while like a bandoleer. When I float tube, I adjust the belt to cinch down around the bladder just ahead of the pockets on the tube. That way I don't ever need to swap out equipment from the pack to the tubes pockets.

I also have gear bags for long range travel etc, but that goes beyond the scope...

Best, TT

Dumb thought of the day: Don't most guys who go to the office wearing a suit, take off their jacket when they get the chance.....but they still wear a belt, maybe even suspenders right?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a vest I don't use much. I have a chest pack I don't use much either and when I do I use it as a fanny pack. I hate having it in front of me. It really gets in the way on my chest. When I'm using a spey rod I don't like anything that even has pockets. I have a polar fleece vest that has pockets that seem to be perfect for grabbing the butt end of my rod.

I drag a lot of stuff fishing with me, but if you think about it, how much of it actually has to be on you? The amount I drag with me has probably gone up over the years, but what is actually on me has definately gone down.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i use a vest and like it. the key is not to over crowd it (yeah right), and assign a place for your gear and keep it in that spot (yeah right).
i also use a neck lanyard for days when the least amount of stuff is needed.
i would also like to try a hip pack some day.

casey

ARFE