The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 02:53 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Stand and Fish rigs

I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with the Freedom Hawk kayaks. What's turning into an annual search for a new rig, as my fishing abilities and targets expand has led me to the conclusion that I need/want a rig that will allow me to stand and fish from. The Ocean Kayak Trident that I'm paddling now is a fantastic rig, but doesn't offer me the stability that I want to be able to stand up. Looking at potential rigs, my search is starting to narrow. Native's Ultimate hybrid looks nice, as well as the Freedom Hawk platforms. I'm more attracted to the Freedom Hawks for a few reasons, one being the built in motor mount, and then the outrigger system which from what I've read is a pretty solid design.

The main water that I will fish is the Mississippi River backwaters, as well as a few other smaller rivers and lakes.

My question is, does anyone have a Freedom Hawk 12, 14, or pathfinder? If so, how do you like it? Does it paddle easy and track straight? What type of downsides do you feel are associated with it?

Same goes for the Native. This rig has been on my list for a few seasons now, but just never pulled the trigger because of it's price.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for rigs that will allow for easy standing, please send them my way.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:35 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default Re: Stand and Fish rigs

I don't know anything about the Freedom Hawk other than seeing a few off the water, honestly it looked kind of gimmicky, though I could definitely be wrong.

A friend of mine recently bought a Diablo Chupacabra, crazy name I know. I'm not much for standing in kayaks but I was standing and fly fishing within minutes. Caught the first fish out of his boat too.
About the same price as the Freedom Hawk.
I'm getting one as soon as I can afford it.

Another friend of mine has the Trident 14 and swore that it was a kayak you could stand in, lasted about three minutes.

Just an idea.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

That's a nice looking rig, and is right in the ballpark for what I'm looking for. I really wish they had a dealer located closer to me so that I could look at them in person. I do appreciate the advice though, as it gives me another option to look at.

I've tried countless times to be able to stand up in my Trident. I am going on the record of saying that it is NOT possible. I am just not willing to risk bringing all of my gear and dumping it. I don't feel like trying to find rods at the bottom of the river. Just not my cup of tea
Old 01-25-2012, 02:49 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

I bought a Native, and I couldn't stand in it (comfortably) long enough to cast and catch fish. I gave it to my son, who also does not care much for it. Shame. Its very comfortable to sit in, but it sucks to fish out of while sitting in my opinion. I also bought a Bear Creek Odd Duck. I even went to go pick it up and shook the maker's hand. Nice canoe, but once again, it aint a boat, and standing for any length of time takes effort that I would rather invest in casting properly and sighting fish.

The Chupacabra looks nice, but I fear it is the same. Lets face it, unless you are a fit 20-year-old, a normal person wont have the agility to fish standing in a canoe or kayak. I believe manufacturers make claims of "standability" on their watercrafts, but its a pipe dream imho.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the weather dictates otherwise, I nearly always fish standing up in my 44 year old Lincoln fiberglass canoe... and I'm 56, top-heavy and have never been "agile".
I wouldn't even consider standing in my kayak
Quote:
. Lets face it, unless you are a fit 20-year-old, a normal person wont have the agility to fish standing in a canoe or kayak
Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibby View Post
Lets face it, unless you are a fit 20-year-old, a normal person wont have the agility to fish standing in a canoe or kayak. I believe manufacturers make claims of "standability" on their watercrafts, but its a pipe dream imho.
Well, I'm a relatively fit 25 year old. But you're right. Most manufacturers are just blowing smoke most of the time with their claims of stability. I've paddled many kayaks before, not one was I comfortable standing in while fishing in current, or on a lake. Hopefully I'll find something though.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Well, I'm a relatively fit 25 year old. But you're right. Most manufacturers are just blowing smoke most of the time with their claims of stability. I've paddled many kayaks before, not one was I comfortable standing in while fishing in current, or on a lake. Hopefully I'll find something though.
I don't normally stand in my yak but I don't think I have a need to. I keep a 8" dense foam pad on my yak, when I'm ready to fish I sit on the pad. This puts my hind end level with the top of my yak. This allows me to throw a leg over each side comfortably and makes casting very easy.