The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road
Default Hendrix Waders

I'm hoping to get into a new pair of waders pretty soon. I'm on a budget of something in the neighborhood of $150 which isn't much but there is quite a bunch of stuff out there these days on clearance.

I've had Orvis and Simms in the past. Both low end waders meaning no reinforced areas, zippered waterproof pockets, handwarmers, etc. Well I came across the Hendrix Outdoors Truckee Wader and they seem very nice. I like my brand names but that doesn't mean I'm not open to other options. Since I don't know much about this company or this wader is there anyone else out there that is familiar with them? Positive and/or negative feedback on this wader? Thanks!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice
Default Re: Hendrix Waders

Sorry I don't know anything about the Hendrix waders but if you are an XL these are in your price range and I have seen a good number of favorable reviews.
Redington CPX Fishing Waders - Men's - 2010 Closeout - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I dont know what size you wear but Front Range Anglers website in Boulder shows some Simms waders on clearance as well as the Platte River fly shop at wyomingflyfishing.com

I like you tend to prefer brand names but I am not real keen on full retail prices.

I have had some Simms Freestone waders for a few years and have been real happy at the $200 pricepoint. I am going to get the freestonewading pants real soon as I rarely get over hip deep after runoff here in Colorado.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-23-2012, 11:00 PM

The Freestone and CPX waders do look nice. Anybody out there have feedback on these waders?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:34 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I used to sell Hendrix at the shop that I worked at. For the money, it is a nice wader. It is fairly durable for the weekend warrior. I had a few come back with blown seams, but that was about the same amount as other brands. Those who blew out the seams were guys who fish a lot and should be in higher end waders.

If you don't mind spending some extra money, you may want to invest in a Redington Sonic Pro wader. The standard chest high model will run you $279. If you want to splurge, the zipper model will run you $379. I have been fishing with the zipper model Sonic Pro since last February. I have over 75 fishing days with them. So far, no leaks. Like most breathable waders, there is a minimal amount of "sweating."

Dennis
Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 AM

@Mosca - So you say the guys that came in with blown seams on their Hendrix waders fished a lot? What is a lot? 100 days, 200?

I'm about a 50 days a year guy. Sounds like the Hendrix wader could handle that kind of work load leak free for at least a couple years? I'm also not so naive to think that a little patch here and there will be required as the years pile on. If I could be leak free for a couple years and then patch a few holes for another couple years before the next purchase, then that would be great.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:57 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Trout333

I see you are in Northern Colorado too, depending on where and what time of year you fish will be imortant. I like you probably fish 50 days a year but maybe 10-12 outings before runoff then a few right after. Probably 35 of my 50 days are between July and Oct and I find I dont wear waders I wet wade those days.

I do have the Simms Freestones and have had them over 3 years and so far so good. I did recently have to wash them to remove the funk...boy they stunk for some reason .So far so good I would buy them again

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout333 View Post
@Mosca - So you say the guys that came in with blown seams on their Hendrix waders fished a lot? What is a lot? 100 days, 200?

I'm about a 50 days a year guy. Sounds like the Hendrix wader could handle that kind of work load leak free for at least a couple years? I'm also not so naive to think that a little patch here and there will be required as the years pile on. If I could be leak free for a couple years and then patch a few holes for another couple years before the next purchase, then that would be great.
The leaks were all seam leaks. There were more issues with the Walker River model than the Truckee River model. Life span was about 50 to 100 fishing days.

Edit: Sorry. Wrong information there. The fishermen blew out the waders within the first 25 fishing days. These are guys who fish 50 to 100 days.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 01-24-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: See edit correction.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, had to do it

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:02 PM

I love Jimi Hendrix too but that doesn't mean I'm going to the Hendrix wader, ha!

Someone help me sift through my list of wader prospects!

1. Hendrix Outdoors - Truckee River, $160 (New/Closeout)
2. Simms - G3, $175 (Closeout, 1 season used by local guides (<100 days) and refurbished by Simms)
3. Simms - Freestone, $160 (New/Closeout)
4. Redington - Palix, $150 (Brand new)
5. Redington - CPX with full front, $150 (New/2010 Closeout)

I'm stumped! I'd like to narrow my options down and buy something in the next couple days.