The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 03:01 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road
Default Fins and Pumps

I just bought an Outcast Super Fat Cat and I was looking at fins. Wow, what a huge disparity in prices! Which ones shoudl I get? Is it worth it to get the expensive ones, or are the cheap ones adequate? Can I use a pair of regualr dive flippers in the summertime if I just want to tube it in my shorts? Also, what type of pump should I get? I see a big price difference there, too. Please advise!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:12 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fins and Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibby View Post
I just bought an Outcast Super Fat Cat and I was looking at fins. Wow, what a huge disparity in prices! Which ones shoudl I get? Is it worth it to get the expensive ones, or are the cheap ones adequate? Can I use a pair of regualr dive flippers in the summertime if I just want to tube it in my shorts? Also, what type of pump should I get? I see a big price difference there, too. Please advise!
I thought you bought a WM.
A lot of people use diving fins. You'll not be able to use boots if you go that way, but waders with stocking feet should fit. All in all it depends on how much scratch you want to spend. Joni and I have Omega Flip Fins. We both had the Force Fins, I sold mine, she kept hers, but hasn't used them since we got the Flip Fins. Been through a lot of fins through out the years and the Omegas are my favorite so far.
As for pumps, again, what do you want to pay. You want electric ( you still have to top the tube off) or a simple hand pump. We have a LVM pump and top off the toons with a K Pump.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:50 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

i use the west marine pump WEST MARINE Inflator at West Marine its $40 and has a pressure guage on it. from start to 3lbs it takes a little over a min per pontoon. ill probably switch to a k pump when i have the extra cash.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I thought you bought a WM.
We decided not to spend that kind of money right now, maybe later. The WM is certainly a fine machine, but since I am re-gearing right now, the focus is on that, and I do not want to blow big money on something we may not like, or use as much as we need to to get the return on our investment. Its kind of the same reason I wont spend $10k on a snowmobile that would sit in the barn for 10 months out of the year, or $50k on a fishing boat I would use only a handful of times a year. I got the Fat Cats so we could try our hand at tubing. I am fortunate to have at least 20 different fishable bodies of water within 10 minutes of my house, so there is a huge diversity of places to go. I figure the Fat Cats will provide us with enough trial and error to warrant the investment in better and bigger boats. Does this make me sound like a weirdo? I worry about that sometimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
A lot of people use diving fins. You'll not be able to use boots if you go that way, but waders with stocking feet should fit.
Do you just wear your Omegas with only the stockingfoot inside them? How is walking in them? Do you worry about the heel of your stockingfoot being exposed and possibly getting damaged?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibby View Post
We decided not to spend that kind of money right now, maybe later. The WM is certainly a fine machine, but since I am re-gearing right now, the focus is on that, and I do not want to blow big money on something we may not like, or use as much as we need to to get the return on our investment. Its kind of the same reason I wont spend $10k on a snowmobile that would sit in the barn for 10 months out of the year, or $50k on a fishing boat I would use only a handful of times a year. I got the Fat Cats so we could try our hand at tubing. I am fortunate to have at least 20 different fishable bodies of water within 10 minutes of my house, so there is a huge diversity of places to go. I figure the Fat Cats will provide us with enough trial and error to warrant the investment in better and bigger boats. Does this make me sound like a weirdo? I worry about that sometimes...

Do you just wear your Omegas with only the stockingfoot inside them? How is walking in them? Do you worry about the heel of your stockingfoot being exposed and possibly getting damaged?
No, 90% of the time I wear boot foot hip waders when in either Outlaws. Walking in them is fine when they're flipped up, but I usually put them on after I launch or just before I beach.
And as for testing the water with a SFC just to make sure you like tubing, nothing wrong with that. Just remember, not all tubes or 'toons are created equal. You'll tweak your fishing style to your liking after a few trips on the water.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I would not risk puncturing your wader booties. Depending on which style fin you choose, I would get a pair of neoprene dive/flats boots or at least some cheap "aquasox" from the drugstore. Ounce of prevention... milt.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Pumps; I have an AIR duel stage pump and like it. About 50 dollars I think,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have a fishcat 4 kicker and for my feet i use bodyglove water shoes that i wear over my wader booties. this allows me to get around without compromising the neoprene.
i also use body glove dive fins that fit nicely over the water shoes. much better then the original hard plastic fins that i bought with the tube.
btw, regardless of what fins you choose, get yourself a set of the fin keepers

casey

ARFE
Old 01-26-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
btw, regardless of what fins you choose, get yourself a set of the fin keepers

casey
I'll take your advice, Casey. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I use aqua sox, my buddy uses kayak booties under the fins, we both use the creek company fins, and they work, I am sure there is better and more expensive out there, but we fish probably 20 or 25 weekends a year using these. Fin keepers are a must!

I have a $20 coleman battery powered pump that I use for initial fill and a $10 coleman dual pump I use for top up. after two years the battery pump is starting to sound a little rough so I will get a new one next year. I also have an airhead pump I got on sale at Cabelas that hooks to the jeep battery - I have been thinking of running a power station to the back to the back of the jeep to make using this a little easier. Even with just using the manual dual action pump, it does not take long (a few minutes) to get set up and fishing with a float tube.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.