The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question "Tethering" Your Fly Rod?

Has anyone come up with a tethering system for not losing a fly rod while wading? I tried the Rod Leash sold by Cabela's, but it really is sized too large to comfortably & securely fit my Sage 5 & 7 weight rods. If you use this unnecessarily-wide velcro & D-ring attachment in front of the reel as they show, it overlaps the cork grip by enough to hamper your cast. Used behind the reel it is easily slipped off the rod, even the 7# with a fighting butt.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: "Tethering" Your Fly Rod?

That coastal wind really kicking up down there?

If i needed a rod leash, I would just get some parachute cord and put a 6-8" diameter loop in each end. Use a lark's head on one end to attach it to me, and then use one on the other end to attach it to the rod between the reel and first guide, or maybe in the reel seat area between the reel itself and the cork.

I wouldn't leave it attached during normal fishing, but only use it during treacherous wading.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Big Cliff,

Yeah, I'm probably making way too much of this minor problem. I wouldn't go through the inconvenience either except in potential rough/fast water either. This worrywarting is what happens when you only get to the Rockies a couple times a year, but think of it all the rest - since you want to do something fly-fishing related, you go gadget crazy.

Not to sound ignorant (even though I am), what's a "Larks Head"?

Thanks,
Old 08-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Fly2Fish,

I have never waded water that I thought about loosing the rod. A lot of my fishing has been at remote locations and you had to be extra carefull with wading. Even as I have gotten older I fish alone a lot so again I am carefull not to get into a bad situation. I have fallen a lot and I never had a problem of letting loose of the rod. In fact, I had the rod in a white knuckle grip. If you are wading that kind of water then you should be prepared to sacrifice the rod for your life.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:44 AM

Frank, I really agree. Sometimes I think that because I get to fly-fish so infrequently compared to what I would like, I get too much into gadgets because I am dreaming/thinking about flyfishing rather than just fishing. Having said that, I've had situations where I don't have enough hands, i.e. I've missed my footing and I'm trying to recover with my wading staff. In the heat of the moment, it's easy to drop my $$$$ rod, and if there's much of a current and I lose my footing further, it's easy to see how I could lose my rod. All that said, the Rod Leash I referred to earlier is anything but user friendly, and limited to devices of that nature, Big Cliff's earlier comment makes much sense - just don't bother with a tethering device in the 99% of situations where it's unlikely that I would run into problems.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Here's some instruction on making the Lark's Head knot. Handcrafted by Elaine - macrame instructions - lark's head for mounting cords Its so simple it almost doesn't deserve a name, but there it is.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:13 AM

Thanks - I always wondered what that knot was called.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I even consider tethering is when I am out in my tube or toon. I take at least two rods out (hate changing line in the middle of a lake). But I am aslo aware that this is an inflateable craft and they can get leaks. Granted the chance that both toons go flat at once is a little remote. I could still loose everything on the boat.
I use an old telephone coil cord and velcro to the rods on the boat and nothing on the one I am using. Tried but it just got in the way and like Frank said, I am sure I would be white knuckling it.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fly2Fish,

Now that I understand your requirement for just temporary tethering you might try this.

You are right that there are times wading that you need both hands to use the wadding staff or the staff and a rock with the other hand. Here is something I have done in the past when wading. My vest has a Tab that is used as a secondary closer. The Tab has Velcro on the back side and it can be closed on its self for a rod holder. It is used instead of zipping up the vest but it still holds the vest together. This sounds crazy but it works.

1. Unzip the vest and stick the rod butt and the reel through the right sleeve with my arm.

2. Now Zip up the vest part way but not above the Tab.

3. Take the tab on the front of the vest and wrap it around the rod.

You now have the rod and reel under your right armpit, through the vest opening and fastened into the Tab on the front of the vest. You will be surprised at how well this holds the rod. You now have both hands free to negotiate the water. I do this some times to re-rig my leader if I am not close to shore.

You can see the Tab at the center of the vest.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Great picture Frank. But that is also what that little flap by your patch and the loop at the bottom of the vest are for. Put the top portion of the rod (actually around the middle) under the velcro flap and put the butt section in the loop so the rod is going across your chest. All vest should have these. When I use a vest I use that all the time. One thing I miss when I am using a fanny pack or my sling.