The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Waders Simms vs Orvis vs Patagonia

It's that time. I'm in the market for a durable pair of waders. I know SIMMS are well received but how do Orvis Silver Label (~$300) and Patagonia Rio Gallegos (~$450) compare to the SIMMS G3 (~$450). I'm really looking for some first hand experience with these products. All 3 companies stand behind their products well enough. Thanks for your time.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waders Simms vs Orvis vs Patagonia

I'm a big fan of Simms waders. I also like Patagonia gear in general but have never used their waders because my first pair of Simms Guide waders that are now 6 or 7 years old are still perfect.

And for equal money, I am going to buy the product that is manufactured right here in my home state of Montana.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 PM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road

X2 on Simms. I still have a pair of giude waders from late 90's. I do take care of them. I think they wear like iron. No leaks as of yet. I use them about 50 to 60 days a year, also have Simms neopren waders also for cold winter days.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I'm a big fan of Simms waders. I also like Patagonia gear in general but have never used their waders because my first pair of Simms Guide waders that are now 6 or 7 years old are still perfect.

And for equal money, I am going to buy the product that is manufactured right here in my home state of Montana.
+10

Over the years.. I've had a lot of equipment.. never been sorry for buying Simms

I've become a Simms packrat now.. my basements starting to look like a Simms catalog

It's really nice they're right up the road too.. had a little problem with a set... no warrrany thing, but they just fixed them while I waited...
Old 02-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Simms....simply the best I think...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had several pair of Orvis waders through the years, one of them being an older model Silver Label. They all seem to last about the same amount of time before leaking happens. I'll say 3-4 years on average with somewhere in the range of 20-60 days on the water, with maybe 10-14 of those days being all day excursions. The kind where you're in your boots from sun up to sun down. The rest of the time it's more or less a day or evening trip. I don't have experience with the newest version of Silver Labels, but I do have an older model Pro Guide version and a set of the Sonic Seams that I use for warm weather wading. The Pro Guides developed a leak, so I contacted Orvis and they repaired them free of charge. I only paid for one way shipping. The Sonic Seams are comfortable enough, pack down very light, but they don't have a decent flip out pocket and the suspender system is **** poor. I used my PG suspenders and replaced the ones that came on the Sonic Seams. These are very light boots and don't have the multi layers that the PG's do. Good for warmer weather, not my first choice for cool/cold weather and bush whacking.

When my PG's leaked, I was in the middle of Steelie Season and wanted to replace those with something that would be durable and more heavy in the leg. I went the Simms route. The G3's, while expensive, breathe better than any boot I have owned. They are very comfortable, have all of the features I was looking for in a boot and the quality is exceptional in comparison to the Orvis boots I've owned. Not to say the Orvis boots have bad quality, but the ones I've tried are of lesser quality than the Simms. Simms gear isn't cheap, but the Simms products I've used have held up very very well. I have yet to test them on CS, but my bud has plenty of times and had great results each time. They will also inspect your waders within the first year and repair anything they find free of charge.

I tried a set of Patagonia's on and they were pretty nice boots. The wool lined booties are a nice touch. They have a nice suspender system that lets you drop the upper down pretty quick and obviously, Patagonia's warranty is iron clad. The lack of hand warmer pocket was a deal breaker for me, and I really wanted Gore Tex boots. I've had a hand warmer chest pocket for a while and find myself using it often.

Best advise I can offer is to try them on. Orvis has a fuller fit through the legs and Simms is much more close fitting. Patagonia seems to be somewhere in between. The set that fits the best is going to be your best bet long term.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the indepth take jaybo. I checked out some youtube reviews and got my hands on both at the local fly shop. My final decision depends on an actual try on (they on order) of the Rios. I'll update later with my thoughts.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Shotgun,

The replies and especially the one from jaybo are testament to the guys here. You ask they tell you, they tell you what they know based on personal experiences with the products. I'm glad to see you posting with us and I hope to see you become a regular here.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

PS. I've owned a bunch of waders, never had a company that didn't cover the products, I'm using simms now G3. They are nice people to deal with down there.
shotgunfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
+1 for Simms....simply the best I think...
I'm hoping so. I just bought a new pair of Simms waders.