Dave Scadden Float

schiff

Reaction score
First, thanks for having a look at this topic and any info or opinions are greatly appreciated.
I am looking to get a Scadden Outlaw Assault or Outlaw Renegade. Having a hard time deciding which, but leaning towards the Assault. (Both are right in the price range I am comfortable with)
Watermaster is out of the running and the new Outcast Commander is also out due to bladders...although I like the design.

I already have a SOT kayak - Tarpon 120 and a Solo Canoe - We-No-Nah Vagabond. I really enjoy these boats and the wife may push me to sell one to get the Scadden...that may kill the purchase, as I don't want to give either up.

So, that is the background. I know several people here have some of these or a close model to these Scaddens, so my question is based on your opinion, is one better than the other?I float rivers up to Class II although there is a III section that I have not tried, streams and lakes also.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.
Schiff

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Schiff: You won't be disappointed with the NFO boats, they are extremely well made. I purchased the Rampage last spring and have really enjoyed using it when I'm fishing by myself (I also have a drift boat). As of yet I haven't been down anything larger than class II but the way this boat handles I wouldn't hesitate to take it down Red Creek rapids on the Green River which is rated at class III. If you do purchase one of the NFO boats get the oar upgrade, well worth the price.

schiff

Reaction score
Thanks Larry, do you think the design has any advantage or disadvantage over the Assault design? I am trying to decide which, but can't determine if there is a better reason to choose one over the other. I like the enclosed design of the Assault, but is that reason enough to get it? Maybe. I plan on going to the Lancaster flyfishing show since Scadden boats will be represented there and ask them, but would like food for thought prior.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Personally, not really, I think it just boils down to personal preference. I know some that say the closed design appears safer in the rapids, but I don't know if that is true or not and besides after you have done a bit of rowing it isn't that much of a concern. Going to a show and looking at the boats in person is a great idea and you can talk to Dave personally and ask all your questions. Best of luck.

mojo

Reaction score
I have the Assault XX, had the Renegade, have an X5, Joni has the X5 and Renegade. Fishing stillwater, the open end of the Renegade is really nice. You can keep your rod tip in the water for a tighter and direct line. But I really like the XX. Lots of room and you can stand and cast on the front and back seat. There is a difference fishing out of an open end as opposed to a closed end boat like the Assaults.
The Assault is the smaller version, but just as nice, and a little bit smaller than the Rene. Like John said, it's personal preference.
I'm thinking about selling the X5 and getting an Assault for smaller waters. Don't want a tube anymore and the Assault is the best of both worlds. But that's just my opinion.

Talk to Dave about the advantages of each. If I were strictly river fishing, I'd lean more toward the Assault. But again, it's up to you.

schiff

Reaction score
Thanks again for the opinions and input. I hope Dave is at the show, as I would enjoy talking to him. I saw the Escape at Cabelas and was very impressed by the quality of the material.

schiff

Reaction score
Well, I went to the Fly Fishing Show in Lancaster, Pa and I didn't meet Dave, but I did meet Larry. I ended up with a good deal on the Assault and placed my order. Looking forward to floating this Spring...thanks again for the advice.

mojo

Reaction score
Well, I went to the Fly Fishing Show in Lancaster, Pa and I didn't meet Dave, but I did meet Larry. I ended up with a good deal on the Assault and placed my order. Looking forward to floating this Spring...thanks again for the advice.
Larry's a great guy. Hell of a fisherman, writer, guide and boat designer.
And, I think you'll like the Assault.:frogdance
With all the shows going on, don't be surprised if it takes a little bit longer to get it. Maybe a week or so.
If you have any questions about it, just holler.