The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 05:51 PM

Roast is on a distinguished road
Default New line for a TFO signature

Hello,

I am looking for a new line to match up with a 4pc TFO 9' 5w signature rod. Given that these rods are often recommended on this forum I am wondering what more experienced anglers might recommend for line. I just started fly-fishing this year and am primarily fishing for trout in rivers/creeks in Alberta Canada. I have made a few trips out the mountains (man that water is cold!) and will be fishing these areas more in the future. I currently have a 8.5' 5w 2pc tfo signature equipped with wf5f rio mainstream freshwater line, that my dad wants to use when we go out together. In putting together a new setup I thought this may be a good opportunity to try some other line manufacturers. As an amateur will I be able to tell the difference between lines? If so, is there a brand/model of line that would be ideal for my rod and fishing conditions?

I understand that personal opinion is a factor but your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: New line for a TFO signature

I could give a better recommendation if you could give us a little more info about the rod and how you want it to behave. TFO calls most all of their rods "the lefty kreh signature series" and then gives them a title like 'series 1' 'professional' etc.

By 'behave' I meant do you want to rod to flex deeply?, throw large flies?, make delicate presentations?, that kind of thing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:18 PM

Sorry for being too vague. I am talking about signature series one: http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/rods/signature.html#T . I guess I am looking for a good all around line. I would like a line that can make light presentations and floats well but that can still be cast a fair ways. The rivers and creeks I have been been primarily fishing on have been anywhere between 8 to 30 feet wide, though I have been on a few that are wider. I am also trying to decide whether WF or DT would be best. I have been reading about some of the RIO selective trout lines and they seem like they may suit my application, what do you think?

Thanks for your response Cliff, let me know if you still need more information
Old 08-17-2007, 07:11 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I had my son read your post as one of the rods he owns is a TF pro 4pc 5wt. He said that he has tried several lines on that rod and likes the Cortland 555 best. He said that he also liked the Scientific Angler GPX. Most of the fishing he does is similar to what you are asking about.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:44 AM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Am sorry I did not list that he uses the WF Float.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:37 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Roast,

The RIO lines are good lines and if you like the one you have you might consider another. It has some what to do with how you are fishing. If you were doing a lot of nymph fishing the Nymph Line would be a good choice. If you are doing a lot of roll casting then a DT line would be a good choice. In most cases a WF line is a better choice.

Your rod has a slow to moderate action and I think the SA GPX may not be a good choice. The GPX is slightly over-lined and may slow your rod action even more. I prefer the GPX on a fast action or extra fast action rod. The
SA Trout line may be a good choice. If you are doing a lot of dry fly fishing and want a finesse line then the XPS would be a good choice. Go to the SA
WEB site to read about their various lines.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Silver Doc is on a distinguished road

Have to agree with Frank on the XPS or SA. I also like the Wulff Triangle taper. For the fishing you're doing I think I would stick with a DT. If worse cmes to worse you can always use the othe half of the DT. Take care of the line and it will last a long time. Hope this helps. As time goes by you probably wind up with more rods and a plethora of lines. It happens to the best of us. Also look for bargins on the web. S.D.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went with the Rio selective trout DT. It is not like conventional DT lines in that the body has a smaller diameter (almost like having two weight forward lines in one).Click the image to open in full size.

It is lighter than the weight forward design and hopefully will be a nice match for my rod. I will let you know how it works. Thanks again
Old 08-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well dammet, Frank already said what I was gonna. The SA Trout, or XPS line would be a great choice. I also would stay away from the GPX, because it is indeed like half a line weight heavy, and might turn a nice soft-ish rod into a mushy one.

I think this Cortland line would be a good option also Cortland 555 High Floating Dyna Tip, Cortland Fly Line, Fly Line, Cortland Line fly fishing gear

And thanks for pointing it out that what used to be the TFO "series one" model is now called the Signature, and is available in a 4pc config.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.